Simeon found and had some words for Jesus.
Simeon, a prophet, was a very old man who was told by God he would see Jesus before he died.
Simeon like a lot of Jews were waiting for the arrival of the Messiah.
When Simeon saw Jesus he took Jesus in his arms and praised God see the reading below from verses 29-32 and verses 34-35.
In Hebrew Simeon means hearing or listening.
The word Messiah in Hebrew and the word Christ in Greek mean: Anointed one.
Simeon blesses Jesus
2:25 Now a man named Simeon was in Jerusalem. This man was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the one who would comfort Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26 It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die until he had seen the Lord’s Messiah.
27 Led by the Spirit, he went into the Temple. When the parents brought the child Jesus to do for him what was customary under the Law, 28 Simeon took the infant in his arms and praised God, saying,
29 “Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace
according to your promise,
30 because my eyes have seen your salvation,
31 which you prepared for all people to see—
32 a light that will reveal salvation to unbelievers
and bring glory to your people Israel.”
33 Jesus’ father and mother kept wondering at the things being said about him. 34 Then Simeon blessed them and told Mary, his mother, “This infant is destined to cause many in Israel to fall and rise. Also, he will be a sign that will be opposed. 35 Indeed, a sword will pierce your own soul, too, so that the inner thoughts of many people might be revealed.”
Other modules in this unit:
- The angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the Birth of Jesus, Luke 1:26-38
- Mary got a visit from the angel Gabriel, Luke 1:39-40
- Elizabeth gets a visit from Mary, Luke 1:41-45
- Mary sings a song of praise to God, Luke 1:46-56
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, Matthew 1:18-25
- Joseph Goes To Bethlehem, Luke 2:1-4
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey, Luke 2:5
- Jesus a newly born Baby, Luke 2:6-7 and Matthew 1:18-25
- Shepherds keeping watch, Luke 2:8-12 and 2:15-20
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus, Luke 2:13-14
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple, Luke 2:22-24
- Simeon blesses Jesus, Luke 2:25-35
- Anna the prophetess, Luke 2:36-38
- Magi, traveled from the east to find Jesus, Matthew 2:1-2
- Herod gets a visit from the Magi, Matthew 2:3-8
- Magi followed the star to a house, Matthew 2:9-10
- Jesus as a child in the house, Matthew 2:11-12
- Joseph takes Jesus and Escapes to Egypt, Matthew 2:13-15
- Herod the Great – First plot to kill Jesus, Matthew 2:16-18
- The Return from Egypt to Nazareth, Matthew 2:19-23
- Jesus about twelve years old, Luke 2:41-52
- The Cross still to come see Luke and Matthew
- Time Line for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Timelines – Birth of Jesus
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus
- Next Module – Ministry of Jesus