King Saul reigned 32 years, in which time he went from being a Good King to an evil King in God’s eyes.
1043BC – 1011BC
The people wanted Saul as their king because of his size and good looks.
King Saul in Hebrew means: asked for.
King Saul reigned for about thirty two years.
10:1 Samuel took a flask of oil, poured it on Saul’s head, kissed him, and said, “The LORD has anointed you Commander-in-Chief over his inheritance, has he not? 2 When you leave me today, you will find two men by Rachel’s tomb in the territory of Benjamin at Zelzah. They’ll tell you, ‘The donkeys you went to look for have been found. Now your father has stopped worrying about the donkeys and he’s anxious about you. He’s asking, ‘What will I do about my son?’ 3T hen you’ll go on further from there and come to the oak at Tabor. There three men going up to the LORD at Bethel will meet you. One will be herding three young goats, one will be carrying three loaves of bread, and one will be carrying a bottle of wine. 4 They’ll greet you and give you two loaves of bread, which you’re to accept from them.
5 “After that you will come to Gibeath-elohim where the Philistine garrison is. As you arrive there at the town, you’ll meet a band of prophets coming down from the high place with a harp, tambourine, flute, and lyre being played in front of them, and they’ll be prophesying. 6 The Spirit of the LORD will come upon you, and you’ll prophesy with them and be changed into a different person. 7 When these signs occur, do whatever you want to do, because the LORD is with you. 8 You are to go down ahead of me to Gilgal, and then I’ll come down to offer burnt offerings and to sacrifice peace offerings. You are to wait seven days until I come to you to let you know what you are to do.”
1 Samuel 10:1-8
Other modules in this unit:
- Samuel the fifteen Judge of Israel anoints Saul, 1 Samuel 10:1-27
- King Saul starts his reign of about thirty two years, 1 Samuel 10:1-8
- King Saul reigns for 40 years he was the 1st of 3 kings, 1 Samuel 11:1-15
- Samuel the fifteen Judge of Israel anoints David as king, 1 Samuel 16:1-13
- David plays for his King, 1 Samuel 16:14-23
- David uses his slingshot, 1 Samuel 17:40-58
- The giant Goliath is killed by David, 1 Samuel 17:1-58
- King Saul tries to kill David with a spear, 1 Samuel 18:6-16
- Jonathan David’s faithful friend, 1 Samuel 20:1-42
- Soldiers of David’s army, 1 Samuel 21:1 – 30:1-31
- Abigail acted quickly, 1 Samuel 25:1-44
- 40 year reign of King Saul ends, 1 Samuel 31:1-13
- Start of 40 Year reign of King David, 2 Samuel 2:1-7
- David becomes king in God’s time, 2 Samuel 5:1-5
- David conquers Jerusalem, 2 Samuel 5:4-13
- The Ark brought to Jerusalem, 2 Samuel 6:1-23
- Bathsheba and King David, 2 Samuel 11:1-27 & 12:1-25
- Amnon and Tamar, 2nd Samuel 13:1-39
- The end of King David’s 40 year Reign, 1 Kings 2:10-12
- The start of 40 year reign of King Solomon, 1 Kings 1:28-48 & 1 Kings 2:10-46
- King Solomon’s reign established, 1 Kings 2:1-46
- A sword gets the truth, Solomon’s Wise Ruling, 1 Kings 3:16-28
- Solomon’s Temple, 1 Kings 5:1-18 & 6:1-38
- The Queen of Sheba visits King Solomon, 1 Kings 10:1-13
- The end of 40 year reign of King Solomon, 1 Kings 11:41-43
- Time Line for the Three Kings
- Background Information: Three Kings
- Resources – Three Kings – Saul, David and Solomon
- Next Module – Kings of Judah