2 Samuel 2:1-7. Second king of the three kings of the unified kingdom. David reigned for 40 years – 1011BC-971BC.
David, who had become king in God’s time, lived until he was 70 years and 6 months old, started his reign at 30 years old.
David in Hebrew means: beloved.
His life is found in 1 Samuel to 1 Kings 2:11 and 1 Chronicles.
David was good in God’s sight. David had a whole heart towards God.
40 years reign of King David
2:1 Some time later, David inquired of the LORD to ask, “Am I to move to any one of the cities of Judah?”
The LORD told him, “Go.”
So David asked, “To which one?”
He replied, “To Hebron.”
2 So David went there, along with his two wives Ahinoam from Jezreel and Abigail, widow of Nabal from Carmel. 3 David brought his army with him, each soldier accompanied by his household, and they settled in the cities of Hebron. 4 After this, the army of Judah arrived, and they anointed David king over the house of Judah.
There they informed David, “The men of Jabesh-gilead buried Saul.”
5 So David sent messengers to the people of Jabesh-gilead and told them, “May the LORD bless you, because you showed gracious love like this to your lord Saul by burying him. 6 Now may the Lord reward you with gracious love, as well as faithfulness, to you, too! And I will also reward you because you did this good thing. 7 So strengthen yourselves, and be valiant in heart, because your lord Saul has died, and the household of Judah has anointed me to be king over them.”
2 Samuel 2:1-7
Also read: 1 Chronicles 29:26.
Other modules in this unit:
- Samuel the fifteenth Judge of Israel anoints Saul
- King Saul starts his reign of about thirty-two years
- King Saul reigned for 40 years. He was the 1st of 3 kings
- Samuel the fifteenth Judge of Israel anoints David as king
- David plays for his King
- David uses his slingshot
- The giant Goliath is killed by David
- King Saul tries to kill David with a spear
- Jonathan, David’s faithful friend
- Soldiers of David’s army
- Abigail acted quickly
- 40-year reign of King Saul ends
- King Ishbosheth
- Start of 40 Year reign of King David
- David becomes king in God’s time
- David conquers Jerusalem
- The Ark brought to Jerusalem
- Bathsheba and King David
- Amnon and Tamar
- The end of King David’s 40 year Reign
- The start of the 40-year reign of King Solomon
- King Solomon’s reign established
- A sword gets the truth, Solomon’s Wise Ruling
- Solomon’s Temple
- The Queen of Sheba visits King Solomon
- The end of 40-year reign of King Solomon
- Questions 1-13
- Questions 14-26
- Timeline for the Three Kings
- Background Information: Three Kings
- Resources – Three Kings – Saul, David, and Solomon
- Next Module – Kings of Judah » »