Samuel 15th Judge of Israel and also a prophet.
Anointed the first two kings of Israel under God’s orders. This time he is asked to anoint David to be King, 1 Samuel 16:13.
The people of Israel were again asking for a earthly king, where they were to have a heavenly King and His name is God.
David was still a youth when Samuel anointed David to be King in the town of Bethlehem.
Samuel was in leadership for 47 years he started when he was 38 years old. 1067BC-1020BC
Hebrew name of Samuel means: Heard of God.
Samuel Anointed David to Succeed Saul
16:1 The LORD told Samuel, “How long will you grieve over Saul, since I’ve rejected him from being king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and go. I’m sending you to Jesse from Bethlehem because I’ve chosen for myself one of his sons as king.”
2 Samuel said, “How can I go? Saul will hear about this and kill me!”
The LORD said, “Take a heifer with you and say, ‘I’ve come to offer a sacrifice to the LORD.’ 3 You are to invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I’ll show you what you are to do. You are to anoint for me the one I tell you.”
4 Samuel did what the LORD said and went to Bethlehem. The elders of the town came out to meet him trembling, and said, “May your coming be in peace.”
5 He said, “Peace, I’ve come to sacrifice to the LORD. Consecrate yourselves and come with me to the sacrifice.” Samuel consecrated Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice.
6 When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab, and said, “Surely he’s the LORD’s anointed.”
7 The LORD told Samuel, “Don’t look at his appearance or his height, for I’ve rejected him. Truly, God does not see what man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD sees the heart.”
8 Then Jesse summoned Abinadab and brought him before Samuel, and he said, “Neither has the LORD chosen this one.” 9 Then Jesse brought Shammah, and he said, “Neither has the LORD chosen this one.” 10Jesse brought seven of his sons before Samuel, and Samuel told Jesse, “The LORD has not chosen these.”
11 Then Samuel told Jesse, “Are these all the young men?” He said, “There yet remains the youngest one, and right now he’s tending the sheep.” Samuel told Jesse, “Send someone to get him, for we won’t do anything else until he arrives here.” 12 So he sent and brought him. He had a dark, healthy complexion, with beautiful eyes, and he was handsome. The LORD said, “Get up and anoint him, for this is the one.”
God’s Spirit Comes on David and Departs from Saul
13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed David in the presence of his brothers, and the Spirit of the LORD came on David from that day forward. Then Samuel got up and went to Ramah.
1 Samuel 16:1-13
Other modules in this unit:
- Samuel the fifteen Judge of Israel anoints Saul, 1 Samuel 10:1-27
- King Saul starts his reign of about thirty two years, 1 Samuel 10:1-8
- King Saul reigns for 40 years he was the 1st of 3 kings, 1 Samuel 11:1-15
- Samuel the fifteen Judge of Israel anoints David as king, 1 Samuel 16:1-13
- David plays for his King, 1 Samuel 16:14-23
- David uses his slingshot, 1 Samuel 17:40-58
- The giant Goliath is killed by David, 1 Samuel 17:1-58
- King Saul tries to kill David with a spear, 1 Samuel 18:6-16
- Jonathan David’s faithful friend, 1 Samuel 20:1-42
- Soldiers of David’s army, 1 Samuel 21:1 – 30:1-31
- Abigail acted quickly, 1 Samuel 25:1-44
- 40 year reign of King Saul ends, 1 Samuel 31:1-13
- Start of 40 Year reign of King David, 2 Samuel 2:1-7
- David becomes king in God’s time, 2 Samuel 5:1-5
- David conquers Jerusalem, 2 Samuel 5:4-13
- The Ark brought to Jerusalem, 2 Samuel 6:1-23
- Bathsheba and King David, 2 Samuel 11:1-27 & 12:1-25
- Amnon and Tamar, 2nd Samuel 13:1-39
- The end of King David’s 40 year Reign, 1 Kings 2:10-12
- The start of 40 year reign of King Solomon, 1 Kings 1:28-48 & 1 Kings 2:10-46
- King Solomon’s reign established, 1 Kings 2:1-46
- A sword gets the truth, Solomon’s Wise Ruling, 1 Kings 3:16-28
- Solomon’s Temple, 1 Kings 5:1-18 & 6:1-38
- The Queen of Sheba visits King Solomon, 1 Kings 10:1-13
- The end of 40 year reign of King Solomon, 1 Kings 11:41-43
- Time Line for the Three Kings
- Background Information: Three Kings
- Resources – Three Kings – Saul, David and Solomon
- Next Module – Kings of Judah