Paul wrote in this letter to Timothy, addressed as his beloved son, how to be a victor in Jesus.
He wrote from Rome September-November AD67 while in prison for the second time in Rome.
Also see Revelation 2:10 which is one reference out of twenty-one references to victors crown in scripture.
A crown of plant materials was given to victors at athletic games and Paul uses this practice to tell us there is a victors crown for those that run the race of life to the end. The Victors crown is among Eight charges and Five faithful sayings. Victorious Paul wrote to Timothy one of a number of people Paul mentored or discipled during his long life.
Remain Committed to the Messiah Jesus – Eight charges to Timothy
2:1 As for you, my child, be strong by the grace that is in the Messiah Jesus. 2 What you have heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will be able to teach others as well. 3 Join me in suffering like a good soldier of the Messiah Jesus. 4 No one serving in the military gets mixed up in civilian matters, for his aim is to please his commanding officer. 5 Moreover, no one who is an athlete wins a prize unless he competes according to the rules. 6 Furthermore, it is the hard working farmer who should have the first share of the crops. 7 Think about what I am saying. The Lord will help you to understand all these things.
8 Meditate on Jesus, the Messiah, who was raised from the dead and is a descendant of David. This is the gospel I tell others. 9 Because of it I am experiencing trouble, even to the point of being chained like a criminal. However, God’s word is not chained. 10 For that reason, I endure everything for the sake of those who have been chosen so that they, too, may receive the salvation that is in the Messiah Jesus, along with eternal glory. 11 This saying is trustworthy:
In dying with the Messiah,
true life we gain.
12 Enduring, we with him will reign.
Who him denies,
he will disclaim.
13 Our faith may fail,
his never wanes—
That’s who he is,
he cannot change!
2 Timothy 2:1–13
Other modules in this unit:
- Next 43 Years of the Book of Acts, Acts 18:23
- Next 4 years of the Book of Acts, Acts 18:23-21:18
- Books Burn, Paul is in Ephesus, Acts 19:18-20
- Look in a Mirror, Paul writes to the Corinthians, 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13
- Satan as an Angel of Light, Paul writes to the Corinthians, 2nd Corinthians 2:5-11
- Paul writes the book of Romans, Romans 1:1-17
- Idol or the Golden Calf, Romans 1:18-25
- Olive Tree, Romans 11:1-32
- Paul arrested and put in Chains, Acts 21:26-40
- First of several trials for Paul, Acts 22:30-23:11
- Paul before the High Priest Ananias and the Sanhedrin, Acts 23:1-23
- Second Trial for Paul this time before Felix, Acts 24:1-23
- Paul’s third trial in front of Felix, Acts 24:24-27
- Paul’s fourth trial was in front of Festus, Acts 25:1-12
- Festus consults with King Herod Agrippa 2, Acts 25:13-22
- Paul before King Agrippa for his fifth trial, Acts 25:23-26:32
- Paul, a prisoner, sails for Rome in chains, Acts 27:1-12
- Map, Paul sails for Rome and prison, Acts 27:1-12
- Paul and the Snakebite ashore on Malta, Acts 28:1-6
- Paul heals the people on the island of Malta, Acts 28:7-10
- Paul still preaching is under house arrest – Rome, Acts 28:17-31
- Gospel of Luke, Luke 1:1-24:53
- Roman Soldier, The Armour of God, Ephesians 6:10-20
- Comeback, Paul’s plea for Onesimus, Philemon 1:1-25
- Epaphras took a letter to the city of Colosse, Colossians 4:7-18
- Run the race, Philippians 3:12-4:1
- Map, Paul’s 5th trip which was after the book of Acts was written
- Rome burns, 19 July AD64
- Kiss of Love, 1 Peter 5:12-14
- Scribe, Paul’s Letter To Titus, Titus 1:1-3:15
- Paul writes to Timothy a second time, 2nd Timothy 1:1-2:26
- Victor’s Crown, 2nd Timothy 2:1-13
- The book of Hebrews, Hebrews 1:1-14
- Moses leads God’s people, Hebrews 11:23-28
- Crossing the Red Sea, Hebrews 11:29
- Paul back in jail or prison again in Rome
- The Book of Jude
- Jerusalem is destroyed 2nd September AD70
- John on the Island of Patmos, Revelation 1:1-20
- Eight Characteristics of Jesus, Revelation 1:9-20
- The Holy City, the New Jerusalem, Revelation 21:1-21
- Jesus Reigns, Revelation 22:3-5
- AD96 the end of the book of Revelation and the continuation of the Christian church
- Timeline for Acts part two
- Background Information: Acts part two
- Resources: Acts part two
- Next Module – Revelation part one » »