Herod the Great is greatly disturbed by Magi’s visit.
The Magi, or wise men, tell Herod that they have come to worship the baby born to be King.
The murderous King Herod, a Roman appointee, is fearful that he is going to be replaced by another King, the Baby Jesus no less.
Herod although he ruled Israel he was not a Jew even if one of his wives was.
In Greek, Herod means heroic.
Herod replies to the Magi [The Wise Men]
3When King Herod heard this, he was disturbed, as was all of Jerusalem. 4He called together all the high priests and scribes of the people and asked them where the Messiah was to be born. 5They told him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, because that is what was written by the prophet:
6‘O Bethlehem in the land of Judah,
you are by no means least among the rulers of Judah,
because from you will come a ruler
who will shepherd my people Israel.’”
7 Then Herod secretly called together the wise men, found out from them the time the star had appeared, 8 and sent them to Bethlehem. He told them, “As you go, search carefully for the child. When you find him, tell me so that I, too, may go and worship him.”
Herod the Great was an Idumean and was made king in 37 BC by the Romans and died in 4BC.
Ruled in Palestine 37BC-4BC
How do we find which Herod is which.
There is a number of men called HEROD in the Bible, starting with Herod the Great who died in spring (March, April, May) 4BC. There is also a number of rulers descending from this man to whom the Bible gives names other than Herod in their Title e.g. .
Other modules in this unit:
- The Angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the Birth of Jesus. Luke 1:26-38
- Mary got a visit from the angel Gabriel, Luke 1:39-40
- Elizabeth gets a visit from Mary, Luke 1:41-45
- Mary sings a song of praise to God, Luke 1:46-56
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, Matthew 1:18-25
- Joseph Goes To Bethlehem, Luke 2:1-4
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey, Luke 2:5
- Jesus a newly born Baby, Luke 2:6-7 and Matthew 1:18-25
- Shepherds keeping watch, Luke 2:8-12 and 2:15-20
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus, Luke 2:13-14
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple, Luke 2:22-24
- Simeon blesses Jesus, Luke 2:25-35
- Anna the prophetess, Luke 2:36-38
- Magi, traveled from the east to find Jesus, Matthew 2:1-2
- Herod gets a visit from the Magi, Matthew 2:3-8
- Magi followed the star to a house, Matthew 2:9-10
- Jesus as a child in the house, Matthew 2:11-12
- Joseph takes Jesus and Escapes to Egypt, Matthew 2:13-15
- Herod the Great plans how to kill Jesus, Matthew 2:16-18
- The Return from Egypt to Nazareth, Matthew 2:19-23
- Jesus about twelve years old, Luke 2:41-52
- The Cross still to come see Luke and Matthew
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-23
- Time Line for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Timelines – Birth of Jesus
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus
- Next Module – Ministry of Jesus