Mary understood what Gabriel told her and was excited because the angel had just told her that she was pregnant with the Messiah.
She visited Elizabeth immediately to share her news.
In Hebrew Mary means: bitter.
Joseph married Mary who in due time gave birth to Jesus.
Mary and her husband Joseph were direct descendants of King David.
The family tree of Jesus in Matthew is through the legal line, and the family tree of Jesus, as recorded in the Gospel of Luke, is through the bloodline.
Background Reading: – Mary Visits Elizabeth
39 Later on, Mary set out for a Judean city in the hill country. 40 She went into Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth.
Mary, like her husband Joseph, were both from the tribe of Judah.
The couple was considered married, in the time of Jesus, from the day of the betrothal.
Mary and Joseph had an arranged marriage as was the custom of the time. The marriage papers or legal contracts were signed at the time of arrangement of the marriage. That may have happened before the two people had even meet. In a western marriage the legal contract is signed at the time of the marriage.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the birth of Jesus – Luke 1:26-38
- Mary got a visit from the Angel Gabriel – Luke 1:39-40
- Elizabeth gets a visit from Mary – Luke 1:41-45
- Mary offered a hymn of praise to God – Luke 1:46-56
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream – Matthew 1:18-25
- Joseph goes to Bethlehem – Luke 2:1-4
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey – Luke 2:5
- Jesus a newly born baby – Luke 2:6-7 and Matthew 1:18-25
- Shepherds keeping watch – Luke 2:8-12 and 2:15-20
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus – Luke 2:13-14
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple – Luke 2:22-24
- Simeon blesses Jesus – Luke 2:25-35
- Anna the Prophetess – Luke 2:36-38
- Magi traveled from the east to find Jesus – Matthew 2:1-12
- The visit of the Magi to Herod – Matthew 2:3-8
- Magi followed the star to a house – Matthew 2:9-10
- Jesus as a child in a house – Matthew 2:11-12
- Joseph takes Jesus and escapes to Egypt – Matthew 2:13-15
- King Herod the Great plans how to kill Jesus – Matthew 2:16-18
- The return from Egypt to Nazareth – Matthew 2:19-23
- Jesus about twelve years old – Luke 2:41-52
- The cross is still to come – Luke 22:1-24:53 and Matthew 26:1-28:20
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-23
- Timeline for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus
- Next Module – Ministry of Jesus » »