Other than the simple fact that Jesus lived in Nazareth with His parents, the only biblical record of His life as a youth is a description of one of the family’s annual journeys to Jerusalem for the Passover festival. Jesus was about twelve years old when he left the family group to stay behind for a tutorial with the Temple philosophers and scholars, who were amazed by the boy’s level of understanding.
At this age a Jewish boy starts his training to become a Rabbi which finishes around the age of thirty if he is good enough academically to start. by twelve a boy who wanted to became a rabbi needed to quote the Torah from memory.
After Jesus parents had found Him they took Him home with them.
Background Reading: – The Boy Jesus at the Temple
41 Every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover.42 When he was twelve years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom.43 After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44 Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45 When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him.46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions
47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers.48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.”
49 “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?”50 But they did not understand what he was saying to them.
51 Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.
The Return to Nazareth
19 But after Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt. 20 “Get up,” he said. “Take the child and his mother, and go to the land of Israel, because those who were trying to kill the child are dead.”
21 So Joseph got up, took the child and his mother, and went into the land of Israel. 22 But when he heard that (one of the Herods) was ruling over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there, after having been warned in a dream. So he left for the region of Galilee 23 and settled in a town called Nazareth in order to fulfill what was said by the prophets: “He will be called a Nazarene.”
Old Testament readings include: Isaiah 7:15; 9:1-2; 11:1; 53:2
Jesus at 12 like every Jewish boy became a son of the law or servant of the law [pais-Greek] e.g. old enough to start serving God.
This was Jesus coming of age or Bar Mitzvah.
Between 12-13 years old a Jewish boy becomes a man.
Jesus grew up and stayed with his parents until he left home to start his public ministry.
Also read Psalm 69 especially 69:4-12
Other modules in this unit:
- The Angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the Birth of Jesus. Luke 1:26-38
- Mary got a visit from the angel Gabriel, Luke 1:39-40
- Elizabeth gets a visit from Mary, Luke 1:41-45
- Mary sings a song of praise to God, Luke 1:46-56
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, Matthew 1:18-25
- Joseph Goes To Bethlehem, Luke 2:1-4
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey, Luke 2:5
- Jesus a newly born Baby, Luke 2:6-7 and Matthew 1:18-25
- Shepherds keeping watch, Luke 2:8-12 and 2:15-20
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus, Luke 2:13-14
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple, Luke 2:22-24
- Simeon blesses Jesus, Luke 2:25-35
- Anna the prophetess, Luke 2:36-38
- Magi, traveled from the east to find Jesus, Matthew 2:1-2
- Herod gets a visit from the Magi, Matthew 2:3-8
- Magi followed the star to a house, Matthew 2:9-10
- Jesus as a child in the house, Matthew 2:11-12
- Joseph takes Jesus and Escapes to Egypt, Matthew 2:13-15
- Herod the Great plans how to kill Jesus, Matthew 2:16-18
- The Return from Egypt to Nazareth, Matthew 2:19-23
- Jesus about twelve years old, Luke 2:41-52
- The Cross still to come see Luke and Matthew
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-23
- Time Line for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Timelines – Birth of Jesus
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus
- Next Module – Ministry of Jesus