Jacob prepares to meet Esau, his twin brother.
Esau was the elder son of Isaac and the twin brother of Jacob.
Jacob had stolen both the birth right of the eldest son and also the blessing that went with it. Esau had not forgiven Jacob for these acts.
Remember in all of this God had said before they were born Jacob I have loved and Esau I hate.
36:1 This is a record of Esau’s genealogy, that is, of Edom. 2 Esau had married Canaanite women, including Elon the Hittite’s daughter Adah, Oholibamah, the daughter of Anah (who was Zibeon the Hivite’s daughter), and 3 Ishamael’s daughter Basemath (who was Nebaioth’s sister). 4 Adah bore Eliphaz to Esau, Basemath bore Reuel, and 5 Oholibamah bore Jeush, Jalam, and Korah. These were Esau’s sons, who were born to him in the territory of Canaan.
6 Later, Esau took his wives, his children, everyone in his household, his livestock, all his animals, and all his possessions that he had acquired in the territory of Canaan and moved far away from his brother Jacob, 7 because their holdings were too vast to allow them to stay together, since the land where they had settled was not able to support all of their livestock. 8 So Esau lived in Mount Seir. (Esau was also known as Edom.)
9 This is a record of the family history of Esau, the ancestor of the Edomites of Mount Seir. 10 The names of Esau’s sons were Eliphaz (the son of Esau’s wife Adah) and Reuel (the son of Esau’s wife Basemath).
11 Eliphaz’s sons were Teman, Omar, Zepho, Gatam, and Kenaz. 12 Timnah was a concubine of Esau’s son Eliphaz. She bore Amalek to Eliphaz.
13 Reuel’s sons were Nahath, Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah. These were the sons of Esau’s wife Basemath.
14 These were the sons of Esau’s wife Oholibamah, the daughter of Anah, who was the daughter of Zibeon. She bore Jeush, Jalam, and Korah for Esau.
Leaders of Esau’s Descendants
15 These were the tribal leaders of Esau’s descendants; that is, the children of Eliphaz, who was Esau’s firstborn: tribal leaders Teman, Omar, Zepho, Kenaz, 16 Korah, Gatam, and Amalek. These were the tribal leaders who descended from Eliphaz in the territory of Edom. These were Adah’s sons.
17 These were the descendants of Esau’s son Reuel: tribal leaders Nahath, Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah. These were the tribal leaders who descended from Reuel in the territory of Edom. These were the sons of Esau’s wife Basemath.
18 These were the descendants of Esau’s wife Oholibamah: tribal leaders Jeush, Jalam, and Korah. These tribal leaders descended from Esau’s wife Oholibamah, Anah’s daughter. 19 These were the descendants of Esau (also known as Edom) and their tribal leaders.
Leaders of Seir’s Descendants
20 These were the descendants of Seir the Horite, who lived in the territory: Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, 21Dishon, Ezer, and Dishan. These were the tribal leaders who descended from the Horites, the descendants of Seir in the territory of Edom.
22 Lotan’s children were Hori and Hemam. Lotan’s sister was Timna.
23 Shobal’s children were Alvan, Manahath, Ebal, Shepho, and Onam.
24 Zibeon’s children were Aiah and Anah. Anah discovered the hot springs in the wilderness while grazing his father Zibeon’s donkeys.
25 Anah’s children were Dishon and Anah’s daughter Oholibamah.
26 Dishon’s children were Hemdan, Eshban, Ithran, and Keran.
27 Ezer’s children were Bilhan, Zaavan, and Akan.
28 Dishan’s children were Uz and Aran.
29 These were the tribal leaders who descended from the Horites: tribal leaders Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, 30 Dishon, Ezer, and Dishan. These were the tribal leaders who descended from the Horites, according to their tribal leaders in the territory of Seir.
31 This is a list of the kings who ruled the territory of Edom before any king reigned over the Israelis. 32 Beor’s son Bela ruled over Edom. His city’s name was Dinhabah.
33 After Bela died, Zerah’s son Jobab from Bozrah ruled in his place.
34 After Jobab died, Husham from the territory of the Temanites ruled in his place.
35 After Husham died, Bedad’s son Hadad, who killed Midian in the field of Moab, ruled in his place. His city’s name was Avith.
36 After Hadad died, Samlah from Masrekah ruled in his place.
37 After Samlah died, Shaul from Rehoboth by the river ruled in his place.
38 After Shaul died, Achbor’s son Baal-hanan ruled in his place.
39 After Achbor’s son Baal-hanan died, Hadar ruled in his place. His city’s name was Pau. And his wife’s name was Mehetabel, who was the daughter of Matred, and granddaughter of Me-zahab.
40 These were the names of the chiefs who descended from Esau according to their clans, territories, and names: tribal leaders Timna, Alvah, Jetheth, 41 Oholibamah, Elah, Pinon, 42 Kenaz, Teman, Mibzar, 43 Magdiel, and Iram. These were the chiefs who descended from Edom, according to their territories in their own land. This was the dynasty of Esau, who was the ancestor of the Edomites.
Other modules in this unit:
- Jacob steals Isaac’s blessing, Genesis 27:1-29
- Jacob dreams about a ladder and angels at Bethel, Genesis 28:10-22
- Jacob marries Rachel the daughter of Laban, Genesis 29:15-30
- Laban meets Jacob, Genesis 29:1-14
- Leah the older sister of Rachel, Genesis 29:1-30
- Bilhah, the servant of Rachel, Genesis 29:29 :30:1-30
- Zilpah, servant of Leah, Genesis 30:9-13
- Reuben finds some mandrakes for Leah, Genesis 30:14-18
- Jacob had twelve sons, Genesis 29:31-30:24 and 35:23-26
- Jacob flees with his family from Laban, Genesis 31:1-55
- Esau’s descendants, Genesis 36:1-43
- Joseph’s Dreams, Genesis 37:1-11
- Joseph is put down a well, Genesis 37:12-36
- Tamar and Judah, Genesis 38:1-30
- Joseph runs from Potiphar’s Wife, Genesis 39:1-20
- The Cup that held the wine for the King of Egypt, Genesis 40:1-23 and Genesis 41:1-13
- The chief Baker to the King of Egypt, Genesis 40:1-4, 40:16-22 and 41:1-13
- Joseph’s brothers first trip to Egypt for food, Genesis 42:1-38
- The Second Journey to Egypt, Genesis 43:1-34
- A silver cup belonging to Joseph was put in a Sack, Genesis 44:1-34
- Jacob moves to Egypt in a cart, Genesis 46:1-47:12
- Two Sons of Joseph, Genesis 47:28-48:1-22
- Manasseh Joseph’s older son, Genesis 48:1-22 and 49:22-26
- Ephraim, Joseph’s younger son, Genesis 48:1-22 and 49:22-28
- 12 sons of Jacob which he blesses before he dies, Genesis 49:1-28
- Death of Jacob at one hundred and forty seven years old, Genesis 49:29-33
- Death of Joseph at one hundred and ten years old, Genesis 50:22-26
- 300 year gap between Joseph and Moses, Genesis 50:22-Exodus 1:22
- Life of Moses
- Time Line for the book of Genesis
- Background Information – Genesis Part Two
- Resources – Genesis Part Two