Abram, later to be called Abraham by God, was called by God to live in a new land. Later God changed Abram’s name to Abraham and he became the father of Israel.
Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90 when Isaac was born.
This son was a fulfillment of God’s promise to them.
11:8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.
9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger, living in tents, as did Isaac and , who also inherited the same promise, 10 because he was waiting for the city with permanent foundations, whose architect and builder is God.
11 By faith Sarah, even though she was old and barren, received the strength to conceive, because she was convinced that the one who had made the promise was faithful. 12 Abraham was as good as dead, yet from this one man came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.
14 All these people died having faith. They did not receive the things that were promised, yet they saw them in the distant future and welcomed them, acknowledging that they were strangers and foreigners on earth. 14 For people who say such things make it clear that they are looking for a country of their own. 15 If they had been thinking about what they had left behind, they would have had an opportunity to go back. 16 Instead, they were longing for a better country, that is, a heavenly one. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, because he has prepared a city for them.
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered Isaac—he who had received the promises was about to offer his unique son in sacrifice, 18 about whom it had been said, “It is through Isaac that descendants will be named for you.” 19 Abraham was certain that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did get Isaac back in this way.
12:1 The LORD told Abram, “You are to leave your land, your relatives, and your father’s house and go to the land that I’m going to show you. 2 I’ll make a great nation of your descendants, I’ll bless you, and I’ll make your reputation great, so that you will be a blessing. 3 I’ll bless those who bless you, but I’ll curse the one who curses you, and through you all the people of the earth will be blessed.”
4 So Abram left there, as the LORD had directed him, and Lot accompanied him. Abram was 75 years old when he left Haran. 5 Abram took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated, and the servants he had acquired while living in Haran. Then they set out to go to the land of Canaan. When they arrived in the land of Canaan, 6 Abram traveled through the land to the place called Shechem, as far as the oak of Moreh. At that time the Canaanites were in the land.
7 Then the LORD appeared to Abram and said, “I’ll give this land to your descendants.” So Abram built an altar to the LORD, who had appeared to him. 8 From there Abram traveled on to the hill country east of Bethel and set up his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east. There he built an altar to the LORD and called on the name of the LORD. 9 Then Abram traveled on, continuing into the Negev.
Abram and Sarai in Egypt
10 There was a famine in the land, so Abram went down to Egypt to live because the famine was so severe. 11 When he was about to enter Egypt, he told his wife Sarai, “Look, I’m aware that you’re a beautiful woman. 12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘She is his wife.’ Then they’ll kill me, but allow you to live. 13 Please say that you are my sister, so things will go well for me for your sake. That way, you’ll be saving my life.”
14 As Abram was entering Egypt, the Egyptians noticed how beautiful Sarai was. 15 When Pharaoh’s officials saw her, they brought her to the attention of Pharaoh and took the woman to Pharaoh’s palace. 16 He treated Abram well because of her, so Abram acquired sheep, oxen, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels. 17 But the LORD afflicted Pharaoh and his household with severe plagues because of Sarai, Abram’s wife. 18 Pharaoh summoned Abram and asked, “What have you done to me! Why didn’t you tell me that she was your wife? 19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her as a wife for myself? Now, here is your wife! Take her and get out!”
Isaac may have been at least 15 years old when God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son.
Abram a high father had his name changed by God to Abraham, which in Hebrew means father of multitude. God said that he would be the father of many nations.
He lived in the Ur of the Chaldees before moving to Haran and then to the land of Canaan and the Negev.
The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah occurred about a year before the birth of Abraham’s son Isaac.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Beginning, Hebrews 1:1-3 & Genesis 1:1-2
- Seven days of Creation, Hebrews 1:1-3 & Genesis 1:1-2:3
- Cain the first human murderer recorded in the Bible, Hebrews 11:4 & Genesis 4:1-18
- Abel a righteous man, Hebrews 11:4 & Genesis 4:1-17
- Enoch did not die, Hebrews 11:5-6 & Genesis 5:21-24
- Noah built an Ark, Hebrews 11:7 and Genesis 5:28 – 7:24
- Abraham the father of the Hebrew people, Hebrews 11:8-19 and Genesis chapters 12:1-20
- Sarah Abraham’s wife, Hebrews 11:5-6 and Genesis 17:15
- Isaac Abraham’s son, Hebrews 11:17-20 and Genesis 25:20-34
- Esau Isaac’s son, Hebrews 11:20 and Genesis 25:20-34
- Jacob Isaac’s favorite son, Hebrews 11:21 and Genesis 27:1-29
- Manasseh Joesph’s Older Son, Hebrews 11:21 and Genesis 48:1-22 & 49:22-26
- Joesph’s younger son, Hebrews 11:21 and Genesis 48:1-22
- Joseph had a coat of many colors, Hebrews 11:22 and Genesis 50:22-26
- Amram a Levite, the father of Moses, Hebrews 11:23 and Exodus 2:1-10 and 6:14-20
- Jochebed the mother of Moses, Hebrews 11:23 and Exodus 2:1-2 and 6:20
- Moses followed God by faith, Hebrews 11:24-28 and Exodus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
- The Red Sea divided and congealed, Hebrews 11:29 and Exodus 14:21-31
- Joshua and the fall of Jericho, Hebrews 11:33 and Joshua 5:13-6:21
- Caleb Moses’ man, Hebrews 11:33 and Numbers 14:26-30
- The fall of Jericho, Hebrews 11:30 and Joshua 6:16-27
- Rahab saved from death, Hebrews 11:31 and Joshua 2:1-24 & 6:22-25
- Barak the army commander of Israel, Hebrews 11:32 and Judges 4-5
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel, Hebrews 11:32-34 and Judges 6:11-18
- Jephthah the Gileadite the tenth Judge of Israel, Hebrews 11:32 or 11:34 and Judges 11:1-15
- The Prophets from Genesis to Revelation, Hebrews 11:32 and Genesis To Revelation
- Samson the Fourteenth Judge of Israel, Hebrews 11:32-34 and Judges 13:1-25
- Samuel 15th Judge of Israel and also a Prophet, Hebrews 11:32 and 1 Samuel 16:1-13
- King Saul first of three Kings, Hebrews 11:32 and 1 Samuel 11:1-15
- David second of three kings, Hebrews 11:32 and 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel
- Jonathan David’s true friend, Hebrews 11:34 and 1 Samuel 14:1-14
- The widow of Zarephath, Hebrews 11:35 and 1 Kings 17:8-24
- Obadiah and Elijah, Hebrews 11:38 and 1 Kings 18:1-15
- The prophet Elijah did sixteen miracles, Hebrews 11:37 and 1 Kings 18:16-46
- The vineyard of Naboth and King Ahab, Hebrews 11:37 and 1 Kings 21:1-29
- The vineyard of Naboth and Queen Jezebel, Hebrews 11:37 and 1 Kings 21:1-29
- Micaiah, the son of Imlah, Hebrews 11:36 and 1 Kings 22:1-28
- Elisha the Prophet, Hebrews 11:35 and 2 Kings 2:9-25
- The miracle of the Widow’s Oil, Hebrews 11:35 and 2 Kings 4:1-7
- The Shunammite and her son, Hebrews 11:35 and 2 Kings 4:8-37
- Zechariah the Prophet, Hebrews 11:37 and 2 Chronicles 24:20-22
- King Hezekiah, Hebrews 11:34 and 2 Kings 18:1-20:21 and 2 Chronicles 29:1-32:33
- King Hezekiah, The sun went backwards, Hebrews 11:34 and 2 Kings 20:1-11
- Isaiah the prophet, Hebrews 11:37 and Isaiah 1:1
- Jeremiah the prophet, Hebrews 11:37 and Jeremiah 1:1-19
- Uriah the Son of Shemaiah, Hebrews 11:37 and Jeremiah 26:20-23
- Jeremiah put down a well , Hebrews 11:36 and Jeremiah 38:1-28
- The book of Daniel, Hebrews 11:33 and The Book of Daniel 1:1-21
- The Fiery Furnace, Hebrews 11:34 and Daniel 3:1-30
- Daniel in the Lions’ Den, Hebrews 11:33 and Daniel 6:1-28
- Hasmonean Dynasty, Hebrews 11:34
- John the Baptist, Hebrews 11:38 and Luke 1:5-25
- Jesus the Son of God, Hebrews 12:1-4 and Luke 1:1-2:52
- Background Information: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Resources: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Next Module – Revelation part one » »