lived 180 years from 2065BC-1885BC.
He went up Mt Moriah around 2050BC with his father , who had been commanded by God to sacrifice his son Isaac upon this mountain. However, God did not require this sacrifice in the end.
Isaac ordered Jacob the younger twin, to take a wife among the daughters of Laban, his mother’s brother.
11:17 By faith , when he was tested, offered —he who had received the promises was about to offer his unique son in sacrifice, 18 about whom it had been said, “It is through Isaac that descendants will be named for you.” 19 Abraham was certain that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did get Isaac back in this way.
Jacob and Esau Abraham’s sons
20 Isaac was forty years old when he married Rebekah, the daughter of Bethuel, the Aramean from Paddan-aram and sister of Laban the Aramean. 21 Later, Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, since she was unable to conceive children, and the LORD responded to him—his wife Rebekah became pregnant.
22 But when the infants kept on wrestling each other inside her womb, she asked herself, “Why is this happening?” So she asked the LORD for an explanation.
23 “Two nations are in your womb,” the LORD responded, “and two separate people will emerge. One people will be the stronger, and the older one will serve the younger.”
24 Sure enough, when her due date arrived, she delivered twin sons. 25 The first son came out reddish—his entire body was covered with hair—so they named him Esau. 26 After that, his brother came out with his hand clutching Esau’s heel, so they named him Jacob. Isaac was 60 years old when they were born.
Esau Sells His Rights as the First-born Son
27 As the boys were growing up, Esau became skilled at hunting and was a man of the outdoors, but Jacob was the quiet type who tended to stay indoors. 28 Isaac loved Esau, because he loved to hunt, while Rebekah loved Jacob. 29 One day, while Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau happened to come in from being outdoors, and he was feeling famished.
30 Esau told Jacob, “Let me gobble down some of this red stuff, since I’m starving.” (That’s how Esau got his nickname “Edom”.)
31 But Jacob responded, “Sell me your birthright. Do it now.”
32 “Look! I’m about to die,” Esau replied. “What good is this birthright to me?”
33 But Jacob insisted, “Swear it by an oath right now.” So he swore an oath to him and sold his birthright to Jacob. 34 Then Jacob gave Esau some of his food, along with some boiled stew. So Esau ate, drank, got up, and left, after having belittled his own birthright.
Also read Genesis 21:1-27:40
Isaac Abraham’s son of promise.
Isaac, which in Hebrew means laughter, because he was miraculously born to a joyful Abraham and Sarah when they were too old to have children.
Second of seven persons named before their birth.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Beginning, Hebrews 1:1-3 & Genesis 1:1-2
- Seven days of Creation, Hebrews 1:1-3 & Genesis 1:1-2:3
- Cain the first human murderer recorded in the Bible, Hebrews 11:4 & Genesis 4:1-18
- Abel a righteous man, Hebrews 11:4 & Genesis 4:1-17
- Enoch did not die, Hebrews 11:5-6 & Genesis 5:21-24
- Noah built an Ark, Hebrews 11:7 and Genesis 5:28 – 7:24
- Abraham the father of the Hebrew people, Hebrews 11:8-19 and Genesis chapters 12:1-20
- Sarah Abraham’s wife, Hebrews 11:5-6 and Genesis 17:15
- Isaac Abraham’s son, Hebrews 11:17-20 and Genesis 25:20-34
- Esau Isaac’s son, Hebrews 11:20 and Genesis 25:20-34
- Jacob Isaac’s favorite son, Hebrews 11:21 and Genesis 27:1-29
- Manasseh Joesph’s Older Son, Hebrews 11:21 and Genesis 48:1-22 & 49:22-26
- Joesph’s younger son, Hebrews 11:21 and Genesis 48:1-22
- Joseph had a coat of many colors, Hebrews 11:22 and Genesis 50:22-26
- Amram a Levite, the father of Moses, Hebrews 11:23 and Exodus 2:1-10 and 6:14-20
- Jochebed the mother of Moses, Hebrews 11:23 and Exodus 2:1-2 and 6:20
- Moses followed God by faith, Hebrews 11:24-28 and Exodus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
- The Red Sea divided and congealed, Hebrews 11:29 and Exodus 14:21-31
- Joshua and the fall of Jericho, Hebrews 11:33 and Joshua 5:13-6:21
- Caleb Moses’ man, Hebrews 11:33 and Numbers 14:26-30
- The fall of Jericho, Hebrews 11:30 and Joshua 6:16-27
- Rahab saved from death, Hebrews 11:31 and Joshua 2:1-24 & 6:22-25
- Barak the army commander of Israel, Hebrews 11:32 and Judges 4-5
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel, Hebrews 11:32-34 and Judges 6:11-18
- Jephthah the Gileadite the tenth Judge of Israel, Hebrews 11:32 or 11:34 and Judges 11:1-15
- The Prophets from Genesis to Revelation, Hebrews 11:32 and Genesis To Revelation
- Samson the Fourteenth Judge of Israel, Hebrews 11:32-34 and Judges 13:1-25
- Samuel 15th Judge of Israel and also a Prophet, Hebrews 11:32 and 1 Samuel 16:1-13
- King Saul first of three Kings, Hebrews 11:32 and 1 Samuel 11:1-15
- David second of three kings, Hebrews 11:32 and 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel
- Jonathan David’s true friend, Hebrews 11:34 and 1 Samuel 14:1-14
- The widow of Zarephath, Hebrews 11:35 and 1 Kings 17:8-24
- Obadiah and Elijah, Hebrews 11:38 and 1 Kings 18:1-15
- The prophet Elijah did sixteen miracles, Hebrews 11:37 and 1 Kings 18:16-46
- The vineyard of Naboth and King Ahab, Hebrews 11:37 and 1 Kings 21:1-29
- The vineyard of Naboth and Queen Jezebel, Hebrews 11:37 and 1 Kings 21:1-29
- Micaiah, the son of Imlah, Hebrews 11:36 and 1 Kings 22:1-28
- Elisha the Prophet, Hebrews 11:35 and 2 Kings 2:9-25
- The miracle of the Widow’s Oil, Hebrews 11:35 and 2 Kings 4:1-7
- The Shunammite and her son, Hebrews 11:35 and 2 Kings 4:8-37
- Zechariah the Prophet, Hebrews 11:37 and 2 Chronicles 24:20-22
- King Hezekiah, Hebrews 11:34 and 2 Kings 18:1-20:21 and 2 Chronicles 29:1-32:33
- King Hezekiah, The sun went backwards, Hebrews 11:34 and 2 Kings 20:1-11
- Isaiah the prophet, Hebrews 11:37 and Isaiah 1:1
- Jeremiah the prophet, Hebrews 11:37 and Jeremiah 1:1-19
- Uriah the Son of Shemaiah, Hebrews 11:37 and Jeremiah 26:20-23
- Jeremiah put down a well , Hebrews 11:36 and Jeremiah 38:1-28
- The book of Daniel, Hebrews 11:33 and The Book of Daniel 1:1-21
- The Fiery Furnace, Hebrews 11:34 and Daniel 3:1-30
- Daniel in the Lions’ Den, Hebrews 11:33 and Daniel 6:1-28
- Hasmonean Dynasty, Hebrews 11:34
- John the Baptist, Hebrews 11:38 and Luke 1:5-25
- Jesus the Son of God, Hebrews 12:1-4 and Luke 1:1-2:52
- Background Information: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Resources: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Next Module – Revelation part one » »