lived 147 years, from 2005BC-1885BC. He married two sisters, and , and then had 12 sons and at least one daughter, Dinah. God changed Jacob’s name to Israel and from his sons came the 12 tribes of Israel.
Jacob, as he was about to die, blessed his 12 Sons.
Jacob 2005BC-1885BC, lived 147 years.
He had married both Leah and Rachel who were sisters.
He had 12 sons and at least one daughter.
Jacob lived 147 years, from 2005BC-1885BC. He married two sisters, Leah and Rachel, and then had 12 sons and at least one daughter, Dinah. God changed Jacob’s name to Israel and from his sons came the 12 tribes of Israel.
Before Jacob and Esau were born. God had said, “Jacob I have loved and Esau I have hated.”
Jacob stole the blessing, of the firstborn, from Esau that their father Isaac’s was to give Esau on his deathbed.
Rebekah the mother of Esau and Jacob helped Jacob to deceive their father Isaac.
11:21 By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons “and worshipped while leaning on the top of his staff.”
Jacob Gets Isaac’s Blessing by Theft
27:1 Eventually, Isaac grew so old that he could not see. One day, he called his eldest son Esau. “My son,” he called out to him. 2 “Look how old I am! I could die any day now, 3 so go find your weapons, take your bow and arrows, go outside, and hunt some game for me. 4 Then prepare some food, just the way I like it, and bring it to me so that I can eat and bless you before I die.”
5 Now Rebekah overheard Isaac while he was speaking to his son Esau. When Esau had gone out to the field to hunt and bring in some game, 6 Rebekah gave these instructions to her son Jacob: “Quick! Pay attention!” she said. “I heard your father talking to your brother Esau. He told him, 7 ‘Bring me some game and then prepare some food for me so I can eat and bless you in the presence of the LORD before I die.’ 8 So now, my son, listen to what I have to say and pay attention to what I’m about to tell you. 9 Go to the flock and bring me two healthy young goats. I’ll prepare some delicious food for your father, just the way he loves it. 10 Then you are to take it to your father so that he can eat and bless you before he dies.”
11 “But look!” Jacob pointed out to his mother Rebekah, “My brother Esau is a hairy man, but I’m smooth skinned. 12 My father might touch me and he’ll realize that I’m deceiving him. Then, I’ll bring a curse on myself instead of a blessing.”
13 “My son,” she replied, “let any curse against you fall on me. Just listen to me, then go and get them for me.” 14 So out he went, got them, and brought them to his mother, who then prepared some delicious food, just the way his father liked it.
Rebekah and Jacob Deceive Isaac
15 Then Rebekah took some garments that belonged to her elder son Esau—the best ones available—and put them on her younger son Jacob. 16 She put some goat skins over his hands and on the smooth part of his neck. 17 Then she handed the delicious food and bread that she had prepared to her son Jacob, 18 who went to his father and said, “My father…”
“It’s me!” he replied. “Which one are you, my son?”
19 “I’m Esau, your firstborn!” Jacob told his father. “I’ve done what you asked, so please sit up and eat what I caught, so you can bless me.”
20 “How did you get it so quickly, my son?” Isaac asked.
Jacob responded, “…because the LORD your God made me successful.”
21 So Isaac told Jacob, “Come here, my son, so I can feel you and know for sure whether or not you’re my son Esau.”
22 So Jacob approached his father, who felt him and said, “It’s Jacob’s voice, but Esau’s hands.” 23 He didn’t recognize Jacob, because his hands were hairy like those of his brother Esau, so Isaac blessed him.
24 He asked, “Are you really my son Esau?”
“I am,” Jacob replied.
25 “Come closer to me,” Isaac replied, “so I can eat some of the game, my son, and then bless you.” So Jacob came closer, and Isaac ate. Jacob also brought wine so his father could drink. 26 After this, Jacob’s father Isaac told him, “Come closer and kiss me, my son.” 27 So Jacob drew closer to kiss him. When Isaac smelled the scent of his son’s clothes, he blessed him and said,
“How my son’s scent is the fragrance of the field
that the LORD has blessed.
28 May the LORD grant you dew from the skies,
and from the fertile land;
may he grant you
abundant grain and fresh wine.
29 May people serve and bow before you;
may you be master over your brothers;
may your mother’s sons bow before you;
may anyone who curses you be cursed;
and may anyone who blesses you be blessed.”
Also see: Genesis 48:1-49:28
Jacob was the younger twin of Esau. His name in Hebrew means the supplanter because he tricked his brother out of his birthright. After an encounter with God, Jacob’s name was changed to Israel, which means the Prince of God.
The unhappiness produced by family troubles.
The transforming power of fellowship with God.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Beginning, Hebrews 1:1-3 & Genesis 1:1-2
- Seven days of Creation, Hebrews 1:1-3 & Genesis 1:1-2:3
- Cain the first human murderer recorded in the Bible, Hebrews 11:4 & Genesis 4:1-18
- Abel a righteous man, Hebrews 11:4 & Genesis 4:1-17
- Enoch did not die, Hebrews 11:5-6 & Genesis 5:21-24
- Noah built an Ark, Hebrews 11:7 and Genesis 5:28 – 7:24
- Abraham the father of the Hebrew people, Hebrews 11:8-19 and Genesis chapters 12:1-20
- Sarah Abraham’s wife, Hebrews 11:5-6 and Genesis 17:15
- Isaac Abraham’s son, Hebrews 11:17-20 and Genesis 25:20-34
- Esau Isaac’s son, Hebrews 11:20 and Genesis 25:20-34
- Jacob Isaac’s favorite son, Hebrews 11:21 and Genesis 27:1-29
- Manasseh Joesph’s Older Son, Hebrews 11:21 and Genesis 48:1-22 & 49:22-26
- Joesph’s younger son, Hebrews 11:21 and Genesis 48:1-22
- Joseph had a coat of many colors, Hebrews 11:22 and Genesis 50:22-26
- Amram a Levite, the father of Moses, Hebrews 11:23 and Exodus 2:1-10 and 6:14-20
- Jochebed the mother of Moses, Hebrews 11:23 and Exodus 2:1-2 and 6:20
- Moses followed God by faith, Hebrews 11:24-28 and Exodus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
- The Red Sea divided and congealed, Hebrews 11:29 and Exodus 14:21-31
- Joshua and the fall of Jericho, Hebrews 11:33 and Joshua 5:13-6:21
- Caleb Moses’ man, Hebrews 11:33 and Numbers 14:26-30
- The fall of Jericho, Hebrews 11:30 and Joshua 6:16-27
- Rahab saved from death, Hebrews 11:31 and Joshua 2:1-24 & 6:22-25
- Barak the army commander of Israel, Hebrews 11:32 and Judges 4-5
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel, Hebrews 11:32-34 and Judges 6:11-18
- Jephthah the Gileadite the tenth Judge of Israel, Hebrews 11:32 or 11:34 and Judges 11:1-15
- The Prophets from Genesis to Revelation, Hebrews 11:32 and Genesis To Revelation
- Samson the Fourteenth Judge of Israel, Hebrews 11:32-34 and Judges 13:1-25
- Samuel 15th Judge of Israel and also a Prophet, Hebrews 11:32 and 1 Samuel 16:1-13
- King Saul first of three Kings, Hebrews 11:32 and 1 Samuel 11:1-15
- David second of three kings, Hebrews 11:32 and 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel
- Jonathan David’s true friend, Hebrews 11:34 and 1 Samuel 14:1-14
- The widow of Zarephath, Hebrews 11:35 and 1 Kings 17:8-24
- Obadiah and Elijah, Hebrews 11:38 and 1 Kings 18:1-15
- The prophet Elijah did sixteen miracles, Hebrews 11:37 and 1 Kings 18:16-46
- The vineyard of Naboth and King Ahab, Hebrews 11:37 and 1 Kings 21:1-29
- The vineyard of Naboth and Queen Jezebel, Hebrews 11:37 and 1 Kings 21:1-29
- Micaiah, the son of Imlah, Hebrews 11:36 and 1 Kings 22:1-28
- Elisha the Prophet, Hebrews 11:35 and 2 Kings 2:9-25
- The miracle of the Widow’s Oil, Hebrews 11:35 and 2 Kings 4:1-7
- The Shunammite and her son, Hebrews 11:35 and 2 Kings 4:8-37
- Zechariah the Prophet, Hebrews 11:37 and 2 Chronicles 24:20-22
- King Hezekiah, Hebrews 11:34 and 2 Kings 18:1-20:21 and 2 Chronicles 29:1-32:33
- King Hezekiah, The sun went backwards, Hebrews 11:34 and 2 Kings 20:1-11
- Isaiah the prophet, Hebrews 11:37 and Isaiah 1:1
- Jeremiah the prophet, Hebrews 11:37 and Jeremiah 1:1-19
- Uriah the Son of Shemaiah, Hebrews 11:37 and Jeremiah 26:20-23
- Jeremiah put down a well , Hebrews 11:36 and Jeremiah 38:1-28
- The book of Daniel, Hebrews 11:33 and The Book of Daniel 1:1-21
- The Fiery Furnace, Hebrews 11:34 and Daniel 3:1-30
- Daniel in the Lions’ Den, Hebrews 11:33 and Daniel 6:1-28
- Hasmonean Dynasty, Hebrews 11:34
- John the Baptist, Hebrews 11:38 and Luke 1:5-25
- Jesus the Son of God, Hebrews 12:1-4 and Luke 1:1-2:52
- Background Information: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Resources: For Hebrews Chapter 11
- Next Module – Revelation part one