After the Israelites heard the Levite’s story (about chopping up his dead concubine and sending her body parts to each tribe of Israel) they vowed not to “give” in marriage, their daughters to the Benjamites.
Unfortunately, the Israelites had just finished killing all the Benjamite women (non-virgin) and children in Jabeshgilead, (Judges 20:48) whilst bringing back 400 virgin women to give to the Benjamites.
But they were still 200 short. There were 600 Benjamite men that survived the war with the Israelites. (Judges 20:47)
Ironically, the men of Benjamin were told to set an ambush by hiding in the vineyard, for the virgin girls, who were dancing at the tabernacle festival of Shiloh, in a women only event. These are young girls from all over the country and from every tribe of Israel.
This was the same method used by the Israelites against the Benjamites at Gibeah (Judges 20:37).
The plan worked flawlessly, and each man obtained his wife (200 only).
Then the men of Benjamin went back to their own land with their new wives.
Though the Benjaminite tribe was reduced to a small number, The other tribes were only interested in providing each Benjaminite man with one wife, not with any more, under the pretense of multiplying them faster.
Thus, the elders undertook to reconcile the families to the forced abduction of their daughters. And the expression of their public sanction to this deed of violence meant that the girls had large estate since all the land of Benjamin was now divided between only 600 families.
Daughters of Shiloh
19 So they concluded, “Look, there’s a festival to the LORD every year in Shiloh on the north side of Bethel, south of Lebonah and on the east side of the highway that runs from Bethel to Shechem…” 20 So they told the descendants of Benjamin, “Go and hide in the vineyards. 21 Watch when the unmarried women from Shiloh come out to participate in the dances. Then come out of the vineyards and each of you grab a wife from the unmarried women from Shiloh. Then go back home to the territory of Benjamin.
Other modules in this unit:
- Joshua God’s warrior and the fall of Jericho, Joshua 5:13-15 & 6:1-27
- Caleb Moses’ Man, Numbers 14:26-35
- The two scouts or spies were Joshua’s eyes, Joshua 2:1-24 and 6:22-25
- Rahab helped Israel to take Jericho, Joshua 2:1-24
- Crossing the Jordan River, Joshua 3:17
- The fall of Jericho, Joshua 5:13-15 & 6:16-27
- Rahab saved from death, Joshua 6:22-25
- Ai burns, Joshua 8:1-29
- Othniel the first Judge of Israel, Judges 3:7-11
- Ehud the second Judge of Israel, Judges 3:12-30
- Shamgar the third Judge of Israel, Judges 3:31
- Deborah the 4th Judge of Israel, Judges 4:1-24 & 5:1-31
- Barak the commander of the army under Deborah the fourth Judge of Israel, Judges 4-5
- Barak and Deborah, Judges 4:8-10
- Jael the wife of Heber took a tent peg, Judges 4:21
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel, Judges 6:1 – 8:35
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel with God’s help gets 300 men , Judges 7:5-8
- Abimelech the sixth Judge of Israel, Judges 9:1-57
- The curse of Jotham, Judges 9:8-15
- Tola the seventh 7th Judge of Israel, Judges 10:1-2
- Naomi and Ruth, Ruth 1:1-9
- Jair the eight Judge of Israel, Judges 10:3-5
- Ruth, the great grand mother of King David, Ruth 1:16-2:23
- Ruth and Boaz at the Threshing Floor, Ruth 3:1-18 and 4:13-22
- Sandal of the Kinsman Redeemer, Ruth 4:1-12
- Eli the high priest and 9th Judge of Israel, 1 Samuel 1:1-8 – 4:22
- Birth of Samuel, 1 Samuel 1:1-28 & 2:1-11
- Jephthah the Gileadite the 10th Judge of Israel, Judges 11:1-15
- The only daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite the 10th Judge of Israel, Judges 11:34-40
- Ibzan the 11th Judge or Ruler of Israel, Judges 12:8-10
- Elon the 12th Judge of Israel, Judges 12:11-12
- Abdon the 13th Judge of Israel, Judges 12:13-15
- Samson the 14th Judge of Israel, Judges 13:1-25
- Delilah and Samson, Judges 16:4-20
- Delilah New Ropes, Samson the 14th Judge of Israel, Judges 16:11-12
- Delilah seeks Samson the 14th Judge of Israel, Judges 16:18
- Samson sleeps Samson the 14th Judge of Israel, Judges 16:19
- Death of Samson the 14th Judge of Israel, Judges 16:21-31
- Pillage – Levite and his Concubine, Judges 19:25-27
- Daughters of Shiloh, Judges 21:20-21
- Samuel 15th Judge of Israel and also a Prophet, 1 Samuel 16:1-13
- Joel 16th Judge of Israel, 1 Samuel 8:1-22
- Abijah 17th Judge of Israel, 1 Samuel 8:1-22
- Samuel the fifteenth Judge of Israel anoints two kings, 1 Samuel 10:9-27 and 2 Samuel
- 17 Judges or Leaders of Israel »
- Time line of the Judges
- Background Information – Judges of Israel
- Resources – Judges of Israel
- Next Module – Three Kings – Saul, David & Solomon »