Baasha of the tribe of Issachar ruled for 24 years. He sinned against the Lord and led Israel into sin. Because of his sins the Lord God said through the prophet Jehu “I will do away with you and your family.”
Baasha had killed off the previous king to become king of the northern kingdom of Israel.
King Baasha had a continuing war with the southern kingdom.
Baasha in Hebrew means: Baal hears.
King Baasha — 3rd king of Israel
27 So Ahijah’s son Baasha from the household of Issachar conspired against him and killed Nadab at Gibbethon in Philistia while Nadab and all of Israel were attacking Gibbethon. 28 Baasha killed him during the third year of the reign of King Asa of Judah and took Nadab’s place as king.
29 As soon as he was established as king, he killed everyone in the household of Jeroboam. He left not even one single person alive. He destroyed them completely, just as the LORD had spoken through his servant Ahijah the Shilonite, 30 because of the sins that Jeroboam had committed, and because he led Israel into sin, provoking the LORD God of Israel to become angry.
31 Now the rest of Nadab’s accomplishments, including everything he undertook, are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel, are they not? 32 Meanwhile, a state of war continued to exist between Asa and Baasha king of Israel, throughout their reigns.
33 During the third year of the reign of King Asa of Judah, Ahijah’s son Baasha became king over all of Israel. He reigned for 24 years at Tirzah. 34 He practiced what the LORD considered to be evil, living like Jeroboam did and leading Israel into sin.
1 Kings 15:27-34
Jehu Rebukes Baasha
1 Later, a message came from the LORD to Hanani’s son Jehu. It was directed to rebuke Baasha, and this is what it said:
2 I raised you from the dirt to become Commander-in-Chief over my people Israel, but you’ve been living like Jeroboam, you’ve been leading my people Israel into sin, and you’ve been provoking me to anger with their sins. 3 So watch out! I’m going to devour Baasha and his household. I’m going to make your household just like the household of Jeroboam, Nebat’s son. 4 Anyone from Baasha’s household who dies in the city will be eaten by dogs, and anyone of his who dies in the field the birds of the sky will eat.”
5 Now the rest of Baasha’s accomplishments, including everything that he undertook, as well as his strengths, are recorded in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel, are they not? 6 Eventually, Baasha died, as had his ancestors, and he was buried in Tirzah. His son Elah was installed as king in his place.
7 In addition, a message from the LORD came through Hanani’s son Jehu the prophet against Baasha and his household, not only because of all of the things that Baasha did that the LORD considered to be evil, including provoking the LORD to anger by what he did and by being like the household of Jeroboam, but also because Baasha had destroyed Jeroboam’s household.
1 Kings 16:1-7
Also read: 2nd Chronicles 16:1-6
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam the 1st King of Israel, 1 Kings 11:26-14:20 and 2nd Chronicles 9:29-13:22
- King Nadab the 2nd King of Israel, 1st Kings 15:25-28
- King Baasha the 3rd King of Israel, 1 Kings 15:27-16:7
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:8-14
- King Zimri the 5th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16: 9-20
- King Omri the 6th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:15-28
- King Ahab the 7th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:29-22:40
- King Ahaziah the 8th King of Israel, 1 Kings 22:51-53, 2 Kings 1:1-18
- King Jehoram the 9th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 3:1-9:25 & 2nd Chronicles 22:5-7
- King Jehu the 10th King of Israel, 2 Kings 9:1-10:36 and 2nd Chronicles 22:7-12
- King Jehoahaz the 11th King of Israel, 2 Kings 13:1:9
- King Jehoash the 12th King of Israel, 2 Kings 13:10-14:16
- King Jeroboam 2nd the 13th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 14:23-29
- King Zechariah the 14th King of Israel, 2 Kings 14:29-15:12
- King Shallum the 15th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:10-15
- King Menahem the 16th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:14-22
- King Pekahiah the 17th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:22-26
- King Pekah the 18th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:27-31 and 2nd Chronicles 28:5-8
- King Hoshea the 19th and last King of Israel, 2 Kings 17:1-6
- The 19 Kings of Israel who ruled between – 931BC-722BC
- Timeline of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings