King Elah, an Edomite chief, ruled only for two years. He sinned against the Lord and led Israel into sin.
Elah was killed by one of his officers, Zimri, who became the next king of Israel.
The prophecy came to pass that the prophet Jehu had said that Baasha and all his house would die and no one would be left.
Elah name means: An oak.
King Elah – 4th king of Israel
8 During the twenty-sixth year of the reign of King Asa of Judah, Baasha’s son Elah became king over Israel and reigned at Tirzah for two years. 9 But his servant Zimri, who commanded half of his chariot forces, conspired against Elah while he was drinking himself drunk in the home of Arza, who managed the household at Tirzah. 10 Zimri went inside, attacked him, and killed him in the twenty-seventh year of the reign of King Asa of Judah, and then became king in Elah’s place. 11 As soon as he had consolidated his reign, he executed the entire household of Baasha. He did not leave a single male alive, including any of Baasha’s relatives or friends. 12 In doing so, Zimri destroyed the entire household of Baasha, in keeping with the message from the LORD that he had spoken against Baasha through Jehu the prophet 13 because of all the sins that Baasha and his son Elah had committed and because of what they did to lead Israel into sin, thus provoking the LORD God of Israel to anger with their idolatry. 14 Now the rests of Elah’s accomplishments, including everything he undertook, are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel, are they not?
1 Kings 16:8-14
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam, 1 Kings 11:26-14:20 and 2nd Chronicles 9:29-13:22
- King Nadab 2nd king of Israel, 1st Kings 15:25-28
- King Baasha 3rd king of Israel, 1 Kings 15:27-16:7
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel, 1 kings 16:8-14
- King Zimri 5th king of Israel, 1 Kings 16: 9-20
- King Omri 6th king of Israel, 1 Kings 16:15-28
- King Ahab 7th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:29-22:40
- King Ahaziah the 8th king of Israel, 1 Kings 22:51-53, 2 Kings 1:1-18
- King Jehoram 9th king of Israel, 2nd Kings 3:1-9:25 & 2nd Chronicles 22:5-7
- King Jehu 10th king of Israel, 2 Kings 9:1-10:36 and 2nd Chronicles 22:7-12
- King Jehoahaz 11th king of Israel, 2 Kings 13:1:9
- King Jehoash 12th king of Israel, 2 Kings 13:10-14:16
- King Jeroboam 2nd 13th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 14:23-29
- King Zechariah 14th king of Israel, 2 Kings 14:29-15:12
- King Shallum 15th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:10-15
- King Menahem 16th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:14-22
- King Pekahiah 17th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:22-26
- King Pekah 18th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:27-31 and 2nd Chronicles 28:5-8
- King Hoshea 19th and last king of Israel, 2 Kings 17:1-6
- The 19 Kings of Israel who ruled between – 931BC-722BC
- Time line of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings