Zimri ruled for seven days then committed suicide by fire. He sinned against the Lord.
Zimri murdered the previous king who was his master. The name Zimri became a byword for a traitor who murdered his master.
King Zimri helped to come to pass the word of the Lord as given by Jehu son of Hanani against Baasha.
Zimri in Hebrew means: praiseworthy.
King Zimri – 5th king of Israel
16:1 Zimri reigned for seven days at Tirzah during the twenty-seventh year of the reign of King Asa of Judah. At that time, the army was encamped in a siege against Gibbethon of Philistia. 16 The army at the encampment heard this report: “Zimri has conspired against the king and killed him.” So the entire army of Israel made Omri, their commander, king over Israel. 17 Then Omri and the entire army of Israel left from Gibbethon and attacked Tirzah. 18 When Zimri observed that the city had been captured, he retreated into the king’s palace, set fire to the citadel, and died when the palace burned down around him 19 because of the sins that he committed by doing what the LORD considered to be evil, living like Jeroboam did, and sinning so as to lead Israel into sin. 20 The rest of Zimri’s accomplishments, including his conspiracy that he carried out, are written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel, are they not?
2 Kings 16:15-20
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam, 1 Kings 11:26-14:20 and 2nd Chronicles 9:29-13:22
- King Nadab 2nd king of Israel, 1st Kings 15:25-28
- King Baasha 3rd king of Israel, 1 Kings 15:27-16:7
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel, 1 kings 16:8-14
- King Zimri 5th king of Israel, 1 Kings 16: 9-20
- King Omri 6th king of Israel, 1 Kings 16:15-28
- King Ahab 7th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:29-22:40
- King Ahaziah the 8th king of Israel, 1 Kings 22:51-53, 2 Kings 1:1-18
- King Jehoram 9th king of Israel, 2nd Kings 3:1-9:25 & 2nd Chronicles 22:5-7
- King Jehu 10th king of Israel, 2 Kings 9:1-10:36 and 2nd Chronicles 22:7-12
- King Jehoahaz 11th king of Israel, 2 Kings 13:1:9
- King Jehoash 12th king of Israel, 2 Kings 13:10-14:16
- King Jeroboam 2nd 13th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 14:23-29
- King Zechariah 14th king of Israel, 2 Kings 14:29-15:12
- King Shallum 15th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:10-15
- King Menahem 16th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:14-22
- King Pekahiah 17th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:22-26
- King Pekah 18th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:27-31 and 2nd Chronicles 28:5-8
- King Hoshea 19th and last king of Israel, 2 Kings 17:1-6
- The 19 Kings of Israel who ruled between – 931BC-722BC
- Time line of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings