Omri ruled for 12 years. First six years he ruled in Tirazh then moved to a hill he called Samaria.
He sinned against the Lord and led Israel into sin. His son Ahab succeed him at his death.
King Omri, a strong and decisive ruler, and the founder of Samaria, Israel’s capital for about 150 years.
Lacking God’s help King Omri, allowed Syria to encroach on Israel’s land.
Omri in Hebrew means: The Lord is my life.
King Omri – 6th king of Israel
16:21 The army of Israel was divided into two parties: half of the army were loyal to Ginath’s son Tibni and wanted to make him king, and half were loyal to Omri. 22 But the army that was loyal to Omri was victorious over Ginath’s son Tibni. Tibni later died and Omri became king. 23 During the thirty-first year of the reign of King Asa of Judah, Omri became king over Israel. He reigned for twelve years, six of them at Tirzah. 24 He bought the hill of Samaria from Shemer for two talents of silver, fortified the hill, and named the city Samaria after Shemer, the former owner of the hill. 25 Omri practiced what the LORD considered to be evil, doing far more evil than anyone who had reigned before him. 26 He lived just like Nebat’s son Jeroboam, and by his sin he led Israel into sin, provoking the LORD God of Israel with their idolatry. 27 Now the rest of Omri’s accomplishments, including the power that he demonstrated, are recorded in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel, are they not? 28 So Omri died, as had his ancestors, and he was buried in Samaria. His son Ahab became king in his place.king.
2 Kings 16:21-28
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam, 1 Kings 11:26-14:20 and 2nd Chronicles 9:29-13:22
- King Nadab 2nd king of Israel, 1st Kings 15:25-28
- King Baasha 3rd king of Israel, 1 Kings 15:27-16:7
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel, 1 kings 16:8-14
- King Zimri 5th king of Israel, 1 Kings 16: 9-20
- King Omri 6th king of Israel, 1 Kings 16:15-28
- King Ahab 7th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:29-22:40
- King Ahaziah the 8th king of Israel, 1 Kings 22:51-53, 2 Kings 1:1-18
- King Jehoram 9th king of Israel, 2nd Kings 3:1-9:25 & 2nd Chronicles 22:5-7
- King Jehu 10th king of Israel, 2 Kings 9:1-10:36 and 2nd Chronicles 22:7-12
- King Jehoahaz 11th king of Israel, 2 Kings 13:1:9
- King Jehoash 12th king of Israel, 2 Kings 13:10-14:16
- King Jeroboam 2nd 13th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 14:23-29
- King Zechariah 14th king of Israel, 2 Kings 14:29-15:12
- King Shallum 15th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:10-15
- King Menahem 16th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:14-22
- King Pekahiah 17th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:22-26
- King Pekah 18th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:27-31 and 2nd Chronicles 28:5-8
- King Hoshea 19th and last king of Israel, 2 Kings 17:1-6
- The 19 Kings of Israel who ruled between – 931BC-722BC
- Time line of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings