King Jeroboam II ruled for 40 years. He sinned against the Lord and led Israel into sin. Although he sinned against God. God used him to restore land that Jonah the prophet had spoken about. King Jeroboam II was succeeded by his son Zechariah as king.
He fought and conquered Damascus and Hamath and expanded Israel’s boundaries. Israel was very prosperous during this time.
Jeroboam’s reign was also the period of the prophets Hosea, Joel, Jonah, and Amos.
Jeroboam in Hebrew means: he pleads the people’s cause.
King Jeroboam II – 13th king of Israel
14:23 In the fifteenth year of the reign of Amaziah son of Joash, king of Judah, Jeroboam son of Joash, king of Israel, began a 41 year reign in Samaria. 24 He did what the LORD considered to be evil by not abandoning all the sins of Nebat’s son Jeroboam, who made Israel sin. 25 He rebuilt Israel’s coastline from the entrance of Hamath as far as the Sea of the Arabah, in accordance with the message from the LORD God of Israel that he spoke through his servant Jonah the prophet, Amittai’s son, who was from Gath-hepher. 26 For the LORD observed Israel’s bitter misery, and there was no one left, neither slave nor free, and there was no deliverer for Israel. 27 The LORD had never said that he would erase the name of Israel from under heaven. Instead, he delivered them by Joash’s son Jeroboam. 28 The rest of Jeroboam’s actions—everything he did, including his powerful fighting and how on behalf of Israel he restored Damascus and Hamath to Judah—are recorded in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel, are they not?
Zechariah’s Reign over Israel
29 Jeroboam died, as had his ancestors the kings of Israel, and his son Zechariah became king in his place.
2 Kings 14:23-29
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam the 1st King of Israel, 1 Kings 11:26-14:20 and 2nd Chronicles 9:29-13:22
- King Nadab the 2nd King of Israel, 1st Kings 15:25-28
- King Baasha the 3rd King of Israel, 1 Kings 15:27-16:7
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:8-14
- King Zimri the 5th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16: 9-20
- King Omri the 6th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:15-28
- King Ahab the 7th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:29-22:40
- King Ahaziah the 8th King of Israel, 1 Kings 22:51-53, 2 Kings 1:1-18
- King Jehoram the 9th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 3:1-9:25 & 2nd Chronicles 22:5-7
- King Jehu the 10th King of Israel, 2 Kings 9:1-10:36 and 2nd Chronicles 22:7-12
- King Jehoahaz the 11th King of Israel, 2 Kings 13:1:9
- King Jehoash the 12th King of Israel, 2 Kings 13:10-14:16
- King Jeroboam 2nd the 13th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 14:23-29
- King Zechariah the 14th King of Israel, 2 Kings 14:29-15:12
- King Shallum the 15th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:10-15
- King Menahem the 16th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:14-22
- King Pekahiah the 17th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:22-26
- King Pekah the 18th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:27-31 and 2nd Chronicles 28:5-8
- King Hoshea the 19th and last King of Israel, 2 Kings 17:1-6
- The 19 Kings of Israel who ruled between – 931BC-722BC
- Timeline of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings » »