King Menahem, the son of Gadi, ruled in Samaria for ten years. He sinned against the Lord and led Israel into sin. King Menahem gave money to Pul the Emperor of Assyria to help King Menahem rule Israel and also make Pul the Emperor of Assyria go back to his own country.
King Menahem was very cruel even to his own people.
Menahem rested with his fathers. And Pekahiah his son succeeded him as king.
Menahem in Hebrew means: comforter.
King Menahem – 16th king of Israel
15:15 then Gadi’s son Menahem approached Samaria from Tirzah and attacked Jabesh’s son Shallum, executed him, and reigned in his place.
Menahem’s Reign over Israel
16 At another time, Menahem attacked Tiphsah and all of its inhabitants, including its coastlands from Tirzah, because they would not open the city gate for him. After defeating them, he ripped open all of their pregnant women. 17 In the thirty-ninth year of the reign of Azariah, king of Judah, Gadi’s son Menahem began a ten-year reign over Israel from Samaria. 18 He did what the LORD considered to be evil by never abandoning the sins of Nebat’s son Jeroboam, who caused Israel to sin, as long as he lived.
19 Later on, King Pul of Aram attacked the land, and Menahem paid Pul 1,000 silver talents so Pul would join forces with Menahem to secure his hold on the kingdom. 20 Menahem exacted the money from all of Israel’s powerful and wealthy men, 50 shekelsn from each, to pay the king of Aram. As a result, the king of Aram retreated and did not remain there in the land. 21 The rest of Menahem’s activities, including everything that he did, are recorded in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel, are they not? 22 Then Menahem died, as did his ancestors, and his son Pekahiah reigned in his place.
2 Kings 15:15-22
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam, 1 Kings 11:26-14:20 and 2nd Chronicles 9:29-13:22
- King Nadab 2nd king of Israel, 1st Kings 15:25-28
- King Baasha 3rd king of Israel, 1 Kings 15:27-16:7
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel, 1 kings 16:8-14
- King Zimri 5th king of Israel, 1 Kings 16: 9-20
- King Omri 6th king of Israel, 1 Kings 16:15-28
- King Ahab 7th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:29-22:40
- King Ahaziah the 8th king of Israel, 1 Kings 22:51-53, 2 Kings 1:1-18
- King Jehoram 9th king of Israel, 2nd Kings 3:1-9:25 & 2nd Chronicles 22:5-7
- King Jehu 10th king of Israel, 2 Kings 9:1-10:36 and 2nd Chronicles 22:7-12
- King Jehoahaz 11th king of Israel, 2 Kings 13:1:9
- King Jehoash 12th king of Israel, 2 Kings 13:10-14:16
- King Jeroboam 2nd 13th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 14:23-29
- King Zechariah 14th king of Israel, 2 Kings 14:29-15:12
- King Shallum 15th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:10-15
- King Menahem 16th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:14-22
- King Pekahiah 17th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:22-26
- King Pekah 18th king of Israel, 2 Kings 15:27-31 and 2nd Chronicles 28:5-8
- King Hoshea 19th and last king of Israel, 2 Kings 17:1-6
- The 19 Kings of Israel who ruled between – 931BC-722BC
- Time line of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings