King Hoshea ruled for nine years. He sinned against the Lord God. He then was taken to Assyria by Emperor Shalmaneser or his successor Emperor Sargon II.
Shalmaneser V, the king of Assyria, then campaigned against king Hoshea and Samaria the northern kingdom of Israel. Forcing Hoshea the king of Samaria to submit and pay lots of money to the king of Assyria.
The king of Assyria also took about 27,290 more captives.
King Hoshea was also relying on help from Egypt which never came. He never asked the Lord God for help which he should have done.
Hoshea in Hebrew means: salvation.
Hoshea 19th and last King of Israel – Israel Falls to Assyria during Hoshea’s Reign
17:1 During the twelfth year of the reign of King Ahaz of Judah, Elah’s son Hoshea became king over Israel for nine years in Samaria. 2 He practiced what the LORD considered to be evil, though not like the kings of Israel who had preceded him.3 King Shalmaneser of Assyria attacked him, and Hoshea became his servant and paid tribute to him. 4 But the king of Assyria uncovered a conspiracy involving Hoshea, who had sent envoys to King So of Egypt and stopped offering tribute to the king of Assyria, as he had done annually. As a result, the king of Assyria placed him under arrest and sent him to prison. 5 After this, the king of Assyria invaded the entire land, approached Samaria, and began a three year siege. 6 As a result, during the ninth year of the reign of Hoshea, the king of Assyria captured Samaria and took the Israelis off to Assyria, placing them in Halah, along the Habor River in Gozan, and in cities ruled by the Medes.
2 Kings 17:1-6
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam the 1st King of Israel, 1 Kings 11:26-14:20 and 2nd Chronicles 9:29-13:22
- King Nadab the 2nd King of Israel, 1st Kings 15:25-28
- King Baasha the 3rd King of Israel, 1 Kings 15:27-16:7
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:8-14
- King Zimri the 5th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16: 9-20
- King Omri the 6th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:15-28
- King Ahab the 7th King of Israel, 1 Kings 16:29-22:40
- King Ahaziah the 8th King of Israel, 1 Kings 22:51-53, 2 Kings 1:1-18
- King Jehoram the 9th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 3:1-9:25 & 2nd Chronicles 22:5-7
- King Jehu the 10th King of Israel, 2 Kings 9:1-10:36 and 2nd Chronicles 22:7-12
- King Jehoahaz the 11th King of Israel, 2 Kings 13:1:9
- King Jehoash the 12th King of Israel, 2 Kings 13:10-14:16
- King Jeroboam 2nd the 13th King of Israel, 2nd Kings 14:23-29
- King Zechariah the 14th King of Israel, 2 Kings 14:29-15:12
- King Shallum the 15th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:10-15
- King Menahem the 16th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:14-22
- King Pekahiah the 17th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:22-26
- King Pekah the 18th King of Israel, 2 Kings 15:27-31 and 2nd Chronicles 28:5-8
- King Hoshea the 19th and last King of Israel, 2 Kings 17:1-6
- The 19 Kings of Israel who ruled between – 931BC-722BC
- Timeline of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings