Queen Athaliah – 7th King actually a queen of Judah, the mother of King Ahaziah the 6th king of Judah saw that her son was dead she then took control of the kingdom of Judah and killed all the royal members. But she missed one child, Joash, who was later was to rule in her place as the 8th king of Judah. The army officers killed her at the Horse Gate by the orders of Jehoidia the priest.
Athaliah was not liked by the people because of what she did and they were happy when she was slain by the sword.
Athaliah was a very unpleasant person in God’s eyes.
Athaliah in Hebrew means: God is exalted.
Queen Athaliah 7th King of Judah
Athaliah and Joash
1 As soon as Ahaziah’s mother Athaliah learned that her son had died, she seized the throne and executed the entire royal bloodline. 2 But King Joram’s daughter Jehosheba, who was Ahaziah’s sister, rescued Ahaziah’s son Joash from the group of the king’s sons who were being executed and hid him and his nurse in her bedroom, concealing him from Athaliah so he was not put to death. 3 So Joash remained hidden with her in the LORD’s Temple for six years while Athaliah reigned over the land.
4 But during the seventh year of her reign, Jehoiada went out and called together the rulers of hundreds, the captains, and the guards, and assembled them together inside the LORD’s Temple. He made a covenant with them, making them take an oath in the LORD’s Temple, and then he revealed the king’s son to them. 5 He ordered them:
“Here’s what we’ll do: A third of you will enter here on this coming Sabbath dressed as guardians of the watch for the king’s palace, 6 with a third of you at the Sur gate, and a third at the gate behind the guards. Keep watch over the palace and defend it. 7 Two of you who enter here on this coming Sabbath are to stand watch at the LORD’s Temple, 8 guarding the king and surrounding him with weapons in hand. Whoever comes within range is to be killed. Stay with the king wherever he goes, coming or going.”
9 So the captains of hundreds did just as Jehoiada the priest ordered. Each one of them assembled his men who were to enter on the Sabbath, along with those who were to leave on the Sabbath, and approached Jehoiada the priest.
10 The priest issued king David’s personal spears and shields that had been stored in the LORD’s Temple to the captains of hundreds. 11 So the guards stood assembled, every soldier with weapons in hand, surrounding the king from the right side corner of the Temple to the left side corner, including around the altar and the Temple.
12 Then he brought out the king’s son, put the royal crown on him, presented him with the Testimony, and installed him as king. They anointed him, applauded, and said, “May the king live!”
13 When Athaliah heard all of the commotion coming from those who were guarding the people, she approached the people who were in the LORD’s Temple. 14 She looked around—and there was the king, standing near a column, as was the royal custom! He was accompanied by the commanding officers, along with trumpeters who stood beside the king. All the people of the land sounded trumpets in their excitement.
But Athaliah tore her clothes and bellowed, “It’s a plot! A conspiracy!”
Athaliah is Executed
15 Jehoiada the priest commanded the captains in charge of the army, “Take her out the back way and execute anybody who follows her,” since the priest had also issued this order: “Let’s not put her to death in the LORD’s Temple.” 16 So they arrested Athaliah, took her out through the same entrance used by the horses for entering the king’s palace, and executed her.
A Covenant is Made
17 Then Jehoiada entered into a covenant with the LORD, the king, and the people, that they would live as the LORD’s people, and also entered into a covenant with the king and the people. 18 Then all of the people of the land entered Baal’s temple, tore it down, and broke his altars and his images to pieces, killing Mattan the priest of Baal right in front of the altars. Furthermore, Jehoiada the priest appointed officers to guard the LORD’s Temple, 19 and brought the commanders of hundreds, the Carites, the guards, and all the people of the land, taking the king out of the LORD’s Temple, marching through the guard’s gate to the king’s palace, where Joash took his seat on the throne of the kings. 20 After this, everyone throughout the land rejoiced and the city was at peace, because they had executed Athaliah at the king’s palace.
2nd Kings 11:1—20
also read 2nd Chronicles 22:1-23:23
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam 1st king of Judah, 1st Kings 11:41-12:24 and 2nd Chronicles 9:31-12:16
- King Abijah or Abijam 2nd king of Judah, 1st Kings 14:31-15:8 and 2nd Chronicles 13:-22
- King Asa – 3rd and Good king of Judah, 1 Kings 15:8-24 and 2nd Chronicles 14:-16:14
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th Good King of Judah, 1 Kings 22:41-50 and 2nd Chronicles 17:1-20:37
- King Jehoram 5th king of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:16-24 and 2nd Chronicles 2:1-20
- King Ahaziah – 6th king of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:24-9:29 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-9
- Queen Athaliah 7th King of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-23:21
- Joash the 8th king of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-12:21 and 2nd Chronicles 22:10-24:27
- King Amaziah 9th and a Good king of Judah, 2nd Kings 14:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 25:1-28
- King Azariah 10th and Good king of Judah, 2 Kings 15:1-7 and 2nd Chronicles 26:1-23
- King Jotham 11th and a Good king of Judah, 2 Kings 15:32-38 & 2nd Chronicles 27:1-9
- King Ahaz 12th king of Judah, 2 Kings 16:1-20 & 2nd Chronicles 28:1-27
- King Hezekiah was the the 13th and a Good king of Judah, 2nd Kings 18:1-20:21 & 2nd Chronicles 29:1-32:33
- King Manasseh 14th king of Judah, 2 Kings 21:1-18 & 2nd Chronicles 33:1-20
- King Amon 15th king of Judah, 2 Kings 21:19-26 & 2nd Chronicles 33:21-25
- King Josiah 16th and a Good king of Judah, 2 Kings 22:1-23:30 & 2nd Chronicles 34:1-35:27
- King Jehoahaz 17th king of Judah, 2 Kings 23:31-35 & 2nd Chronicles 36:1-4
- King Jehoiakim 18th king of Judah, 2 Kings 23:36-24:7 & 2nd Chronicles 36:5-7
- King Jehoiachin 19th king of Judah, 2 Kings 24:8-17 & 2nd Chronicles 36:8-10
- King Zedekiah 20th and last king of Judah, 2 Chronicles 36:11-21 & 2 Kings 24:17-25:30
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC
- Time line of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Kings of Israel