King Hezekiah was the the 13th King of Judah. A good king in God’s eyes.
716/15BC-687/86BC = 29 years.
Samaria fell to the Assyrians in 6th year of King Hezekiah’s reign. He also asked advice from the prophet Isaiah. To prove King Hezekiah would recover from his illness God made the sun go back 10 steps on the stairway set up by King Ahaz.
Hezekiah in Hebrew means: Jah is strength.
also read 2nd Chronicles 29:1-32:33.
Hezekiah King of Judah
18:1 Now it happened that during the third year of the reign of Elah’s son Hoshea, king of Israel, that Ahaz’ son Hezekiah became king. 2 He was 25 years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem for 29 years. His mother was Zechariah’s daughter Abi. 3 He did what the LORD considered to be right, according to everything that his ancestor David had done.
4 He removed the high places, demolished the sacred pillars, and tore down the Asherah poles. He also demolished the bronze serpent that Moses had crafted, because the Israelis had been burning incense to it right up until that time. Hezekiah called it a piece of brass. 5 He trusted the LORD God of Israel, and after him there were none like him among all the kings of Judah, 6 because he depended on the LORD, not abandoning pursuit of him, and keeping the LORD’s commands that he had commanded Moses. 7 So the LORD was with him, and Hezekiah prospered wherever he went, even when he rebelled against the king of Assyria, refusing to serve him. 8 He attacked the Philistines, invading Gaza and its borders from watchtower to fortified garrison.
Shalmaneser Attacks Samaria
9 In the fourth year of King Hezekiah’s reign (that is, during the seventh year of Elah’s son Hoshea’s reign as king of Israel), King Shalmaneser from Assyria invaded Samaria and besieged it. 10 Three years later, they captured Samaria during the sixth year of Hezekiah’s reign, which was the ninth year of Hoshea’s reign as king of Israel. 11 After this, the king of Assyria carried Israel off into exile in Assyria, settling them in Halah, on the Habor River in Gozan, and in cities controlled by the Medes, 12 because they would not obey the voice of the LORD their God. Instead, they transgressed his covenant, including everything that Moses, the servant of the LORD, had commanded, by neither listening nor putting what he had commanded into practice.
2 Kings 18:1—12
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam 1st king of Judah, 1st Kings 11:41-12:24 and 2nd Chronicles 9:31-12:16
- King Abijah or Abijam 2nd king of Judah, 1st Kings 14:31-15:8 and 2nd Chronicles 13:-22
- King Asa – 3rd and Good king of Judah, 1 Kings 15:8-24 and 2nd Chronicles 14:-16:14
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th Good King of Judah, 1 Kings 22:41-50 and 2nd Chronicles 17:1-20:37
- King Jehoram 5th king of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:16-24 and 2nd Chronicles 2:1-20
- King Ahaziah – 6th king of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:24-9:29 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-9
- Queen Athaliah 7th King of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-23:21
- Joash the 8th king of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-12:21 and 2nd Chronicles 22:10-24:27
- King Amaziah 9th and a Good king of Judah, 2nd Kings 14:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 25:1-28
- King Azariah 10th and Good king of Judah, 2 Kings 15:1-7 and 2nd Chronicles 26:1-23
- King Jotham 11th and a Good king of Judah, 2 Kings 15:32-38 & 2nd Chronicles 27:1-9
- King Ahaz 12th king of Judah, 2 Kings 16:1-20 & 2nd Chronicles 28:1-27
- King Hezekiah was the the 13th and a Good king of Judah, 2nd Kings 18:1-20:21 & 2nd Chronicles 29:1-32:33
- King Manasseh 14th king of Judah, 2 Kings 21:1-18 & 2nd Chronicles 33:1-20
- King Amon 15th king of Judah, 2 Kings 21:19-26 & 2nd Chronicles 33:21-25
- King Josiah 16th and a Good king of Judah, 2 Kings 22:1-23:30 & 2nd Chronicles 34:1-35:27
- King Jehoahaz 17th king of Judah, 2 Kings 23:31-35 & 2nd Chronicles 36:1-4
- King Jehoiakim 18th king of Judah, 2 Kings 23:36-24:7 & 2nd Chronicles 36:5-7
- King Jehoiachin 19th king of Judah, 2 Kings 24:8-17 & 2nd Chronicles 36:8-10
- King Zedekiah 20th and last king of Judah, 2 Chronicles 36:11-21 & 2 Kings 24:17-25:30
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC
- Time line of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Kings of Israel