Amon became king at 22 years but only ruled for two years. He rejected the Lord and the court officials killed him. Then the people killed the court officials and then appointed his son as the next king.
Other things recorded are who his mother was and where he was buried.
Amon actually worshiped the idols his father Manasseh had made.
Amon in Hebrew means: builder, educator.
Amon 15th king of Judah
21:19 Amon was twenty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem two years. His mother’s name was Meshullemeth daughter of Haruz; she was from Jotbah. 20 He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, as his father Manasseh had done. 21 He walked in all the ways of his father; he worshiped the idols his father had worshiped, and bowed down to them. 22 He forsook the LORD, the God of his fathers, and did not walk in the way of the LORD.
23 Amon’s officials conspired against him and assassinated the king in his palace. 24 Then the people of the land killed all who had plotted against King Amon, and they made Josiah his son king in his place.
25 As for the other events of Amon’s reign, and what he did, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Judah? 26 He was buried in his grave in the garden of Uzza. And Josiah his son succeeded him as king.
2 Kings 21:19-26
Also read 2nd Chronicles 33:21-25
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam the 1st king of Judah, 1st Kings 11:41-12:24 and 2nd Chronicles 9:31-12:16
- King Abijah or Abijam the 2nd king of Judah, 1st Kings 14:31-15:8 and 2nd Chronicles 13:-22
- King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah, 1 Kings 15:8-24 and 2nd Chronicles 14:-16:14
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th and a Good King of Judah, 1 Kings 22:41-50 and 2nd Chronicles 17:1-20:37
- King Jehoram the 5th King of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:16-24 and 2nd Chronicles 2:1-20
- King Ahaziah the 6th King of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:24-9:29 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-9
- Queen Athaliah the 7th King of Judah, 2 Chronicles 22:10-12
- Joash the 8th King of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-12:21 and 2nd Chronicles 22:10-24:27
- King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah, 2nd Kings 14:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 25:1-28
- King Azariah the 10th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 15:1-7 and 2nd Chronicles 26:1-23
- King Jotham the 11th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 15:32-38 & 2nd Chronicles 27:1-9
- King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah, 2 Kings 16:1-20 & 2nd Chronicles 28:1-27
- King Hezekiah was the 13th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 18:1-20:21 & 2nd Chronicles 29:1-32:33
- King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah, 2 Kings 21:1-18 & 2nd Chronicles 33:1-20
- King Amon the 15th King of Judah, 2 Kings 21:19-26 & 2nd Chronicles 33:21-25
- King Josiah the 16th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 22:1-23:30 & 2nd Chronicles 34:1-35:27
- King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah, 2 Kings 23:31-35 & 2nd Chronicles 36:1-4
- King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah, 2 Kings 23:36-24:7 & 2nd Chronicles 36:5-7
- King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah, 2 Kings 24:8-17 & 2nd Chronicles 36:8-10
- King Zedekiah the 20th and last King of Judah, 2 Chronicles 36:11-21 & 2 Kings 24:17-25:30
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC
- Timeline of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Kings of Israel