King Jehoahaz was 23 when he inherited the throne from his father King Josiah and ruled for 3 months as king in Jerusalem. He was deposed to Egypt by King Neco and died there. King Jehoahaz older brother Eliakim was made king in his place by Pharaoh Neco who named him Jehoiakim.
King Jehoahaz was evil in God’s eyes.
King Neco imposed a tax of one hundred talents of silver and one hundred talents of gold which in turn forced the next king of Judah, King Jehoiakim, to tax the people of Judah.
Jehoahaz in Hebrew means: (The Lord is) holding.
Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah
23:31 Jehoahaz was twenty-three years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. His mother’s name was Hamutal daughter of Jeremiah; she was from Libnah. 32 He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, just as his fathers had done. 33 Pharaoh Neco put him in chains at Riblah in the land of Hamath so that he might not reign in Jerusalem, and he imposed on Judah a levy of a hundred talents of silver and a talent of gold. 34 Pharaoh Neco made Eliakim son of Josiah king in place of his father Josiah and changed Eliakim’s name to Jehoiakim. But he took Jehoahaz and carried him off to Egypt, and there he died. 35 Jehoiakim paid Pharaoh Neco the silver and gold he demanded. In order to do so, he taxed the land and exacted the silver and gold from the people of the land according to their assessments.
2 Kings 23:31-35
also read 2nd Chronicles 36:1-4
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam the 1st king of Judah, 1st Kings 11:41-12:24 and 2nd Chronicles 9:31-12:16
- King Abijah or Abijam the 2nd king of Judah, 1st Kings 14:31-15:8 and 2nd Chronicles 13:-22
- King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah, 1 Kings 15:8-24 and 2nd Chronicles 14:-16:14
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th and a Good King of Judah, 1 Kings 22:41-50 and 2nd Chronicles 17:1-20:37
- King Jehoram the 5th King of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:16-24 and 2nd Chronicles 2:1-20
- King Ahaziah the 6th King of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:24-9:29 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-9
- Queen Athaliah the 7th King of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-23:21
- Joash the 8th King of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-12:21 and 2nd Chronicles 22:10-24:27
- King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah, 2nd Kings 14:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 25:1-28
- King Azariah the 10th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 15:1-7 and 2nd Chronicles 26:1-23
- King Jotham the 11th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 15:32-38 & 2nd Chronicles 27:1-9
- King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah, 2 Kings 16:1-20 & 2nd Chronicles 28:1-27
- King Hezekiah was the 13th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 18:1-20:21 & 2nd Chronicles 29:1-32:33
- King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah, 2 Kings 21:1-18 & 2nd Chronicles 33:1-20
- King Amon the 15th King of Judah, 2 Kings 21:19-26 & 2nd Chronicles 33:21-25
- King Josiah the 16th and a Good King of Judah, 2 Kings 22:1-23:30 & 2nd Chronicles 34:1-35:27
- King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah, 2 Kings 23:31-35 & 2nd Chronicles 36:1-4
- King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah, 2 Kings 23:36-24:7 & 2nd Chronicles 36:5-7
- King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah, 2 Kings 24:8-17 & 2nd Chronicles 36:8-10
- King Zedekiah the 20th and last King of Judah, 2 Chronicles 36:11-21 & 2 Kings 24:17-25:30
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC
- Timeline of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Kings of Israel