When King Jehoiakim was 25 years old when he succeeded his brother Jehoahaz [Joahaz] to the throne and he ruled for 11 years. Pharaoh Neco of Egypt made Joahaz’ brother Eliakim king of Judah and he changed his name to Jehoiakim. Jehoiakim sinned against the Lord God. He was taken in chains to Babylonia by King Nebuchadnezzar.
King Jehoiakim was subject to King Nebuchadnezzar for at least three years of his eleven year reign.
King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon had just taken land off Neco the king of Egypt.
Jehoiakim in Hebrew means: he whom Jehovah has set up.
King Jehoiakim – 18th king of Judah
4 King Neco of Egypt installed Jehoahaz’sc brother Eliakim as king over Judah and Jerusalem, changed Eliakim’s name to Jehoiakim, and took his brother Joahaz back to Egypt.
Jehoiakim’s Reign; Nebuchadnezzar’s First Capture of Jerusalem of three
5 Jehoiakim was 25 years old when he became king, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem, but he practiced what the LORD his God considered to be evil. 6 As a result, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon attacked him, bound him in bronze shackles, and took him to Babylon. 7 Nebuchadnezzar also took articles from the LORD’s Temple to Babylon and placed them in his temple in Babylon. 8 The rest of Jehoiakim’s accomplishments—along with the detestable things that he did that were recorded in his disfavor—are written in the Book of the Kings of Israel and Judah. His son Jehoiachin became king to replace him.
2 Chronicles 36:4-8
Also read 2 Kings 24:-25:30
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam 1st king of Judah, 1st Kings 11:41-12:24 and 2nd Chronicles 9:31-12:16
- King Abijah or Abijam 2nd king of Judah, 1st Kings 14:31-15:8 and 2nd Chronicles 13:-22
- King Asa – 3rd and Good king of Judah, 1 Kings 15:8-24 and 2nd Chronicles 14:-16:14
- King Jehoshaphat the 4th Good King of Judah, 1 Kings 22:41-50 and 2nd Chronicles 17:1-20:37
- King Jehoram 5th king of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:16-24 and 2nd Chronicles 2:1-20
- King Ahaziah – 6th king of Judah, 2nd Kings 8:24-9:29 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-9
- Queen Athaliah 7th King of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 22:1-23:21
- Joash the 8th king of Judah, 2 Kings 11:1-12:21 and 2nd Chronicles 22:10-24:27
- King Amaziah 9th and a Good king of Judah, 2nd Kings 14:1-20 and 2nd Chronicles 25:1-28
- King Azariah 10th and Good king of Judah, 2 Kings 15:1-7 and 2nd Chronicles 26:1-23
- King Jotham 11th and a Good king of Judah, 2 Kings 15:32-38 & 2nd Chronicles 27:1-9
- King Ahaz 12th king of Judah, 2 Kings 16:1-20 & 2nd Chronicles 28:1-27
- King Hezekiah was the the 13th and a Good king of Judah, 2nd Kings 18:1-20:21 & 2nd Chronicles 29:1-32:33
- King Manasseh 14th king of Judah, 2 Kings 21:1-18 & 2nd Chronicles 33:1-20
- King Amon 15th king of Judah, 2 Kings 21:19-26 & 2nd Chronicles 33:21-25
- King Josiah 16th and a Good king of Judah, 2 Kings 22:1-23:30 & 2nd Chronicles 34:1-35:27
- King Jehoahaz 17th king of Judah, 2 Kings 23:31-35 & 2nd Chronicles 36:1-4
- King Jehoiakim 18th king of Judah, 2 Kings 23:36-24:7 & 2nd Chronicles 36:5-7
- King Jehoiachin 19th king of Judah, 2 Kings 24:8-17 & 2nd Chronicles 36:8-10
- King Zedekiah 20th and last king of Judah, 2 Chronicles 36:11-21 & 2 Kings 24:17-25:30
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC
- Time line of the Kings of Judah
- Next Module – Kings of Israel