Obadiah 1:1-9. Lived 848BC-841BC – see 2 Kings 8:16-24 and 2 Chronicles 21:1-20.
Obadiah lived after Naaman 2 Kings 5:1-27 and before Jonah 782BC-753BC.
His writings in the book of Obadiah cover the times of 2 Kings 8:16-24 and 2 Chronicles 21:1-20.
Obadiah in Hebrew means: servant of Jah.
There are thirteen men named Obadiah in the Bible.
Comming Judgement against Edom
1:1 Obadiah’s vision: This is what the Lord GOD has to say about Edom. We have heard a report from the LORD, and a messenger has been dispatched among the nations to say “Get up! Let us rise up against her to fight!”
God’s Announcement to Edom
2 “Look! I will make you insignificant among the nations; you will be utterly despised.
3 The arrogance in your heart has deceived you, who inhabit hidden places on rocky cliffs, whose dwelling is in the heights, who say continuously to yourself, ‘Who will bring me down to the ground?’
4 Though you soar high like the eagle and make your nest among the stars, I will bring you down even from there,” declares the LORD.
The Harvest from Edom’s Arrogance
5 “If thieves came against you, if marauding gangs by night —Oh, how you will be destroyed!— Would they not steal only until they had enough? If grape pickers came to you, would they not leave some grapes to be gleaned?
6 “Oh, how Esau is ransacked, how his hidden treasures are thoroughly searched out!
7 All your allies will force you out of the land, your associates will deceive you and prevail against you. Your friends will lay out a trap for you, and you will never understand it!
8 “In that day,” declares the LORD, “will I not destroy the wise from Edom, and those with understanding from Esau’s Mountain?
9 Teman, our mighty soldiers will be dismayed, so that every man from Esau’s Mountain will be slaughtered.”
Also read the other 12 verses in the book of Obadiah.
Other modules in this unit:
- King Rehoboam the first King of Judah
- King Jeroboam the first King of the House of Israel
- King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah
- King Nadab the 2nd King of Israel
- King Ahab becomes the 7th King of Israel
- The Widow of Zarephath received back her dead son
- Elijah the prophet on Mount Carmel
- Queen Jezebel an evil queen
- Naboth’s family Vineyard and King Ahab
- Micaiah a man of God, prophesies against King Ahab
- Elisha the prophet who took over from Elijah
- Elisha’s second of 32 Miracles – Healing of the water
- The miracle of the Widow’s oil
- The Shunammite woman had her son restored back to life
- Naaman the man healed of Leprosy by Elisha the man of God
- Obadiah the prophet of God
- King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah
- Jonah, a Prophet of God, and the Whale
- The prophet Hosea
- King Hoshea the last King of Israel was taken to Assyria
- Israel Exiled As Slaves because of sin
- Isaiah the Prophet (739BC-680BC) wrote the book Isaiah
- Micah the Prophet
- King Hezekiah was the 13th King of Judah
- King Hezekiah – the sun goes backward
- Jeremiah the prophet of God
- Jeremiah visited the potter’s house
- Uriah the Prophet
- The book of Daniel
- Jeremiah used a scribe called Baruch
- King Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream
- The Scroll – one of Ezekiel’s messages
- The Valley of Dry Bones
- Jeremiah the Prophet of God is put down a well
- Zedekiah the 20th King of Judah
- Jerusalem goes into captivity
- Judah goes into Slavery to Babylon
- Golden Image made by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon
- Fiery test in the Fiery Furnace
- Daniel in the Lions Den
- The prophet Zechariah 520BC-488?BC
- Temple rebuilt by Zerubbabel
- Esther becomes the Queen of Persia
- Nehemiah rebuilds the walls
- Malachi a prophet of God
- 400 Years – the gap between Malachi and Jesus
- Hasmonean Dynasty, This family stayed faithful to God
- A Roman Soldier representing the Roman Empire in the restored Israel
- King Herod the Great built a Temple for the Jews
- Angel Gabriel God’s Messenger
- The cross, a Roman method of killing people
- Jesus – The author and giver of all faith
- Questions 1-27
- Questions 28-53
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC
- The 19 Kings of Israel who ruled between – 931BC-722BC
- Time Line for Divided Kingdom
- Background Information – Prophets and Kings
- Resources – Prophets and Kings
- Next Module – 400 years