Obadiah 1:1-9. Lived 848BC-841BC – see 2 Kings 8:16-24 and 2 Chronicles 21:1-20.
Obadiah lived after Naaman 2 Kings 5:1-27 and before Jonah 782BC-753BC.
His writings in the book of Obadiah cover the times of 2 Kings 8:16-24 and 2 Chronicles 21:1-20.
Obadiah in Hebrew means: servant of Jah.
There are thirteen men named Obadiah in the Bible.
Comming Judgement against Edom
1:1 Obadiah’s vision: This is what the Lord GOD has to say about Edom. We have heard a report from the LORD, and a messenger has been dispatched among the nations to say “Get up! Let us rise up against her to fight!”
God’s Announcement to Edom
2 “Look! I will make you insignificant among the nations; you will be utterly despised.
3 The arrogance in your heart has deceived you, who inhabit hidden places on rocky cliffs, whose dwelling is in the heights, who say continuously to yourself, ‘Who will bring me down to the ground?’
4 Though you soar high like the eagle and make your nest among the stars, I will bring you down even from there,” declares the LORD.
The Harvest from Edom’s Arrogance
5 “If thieves came against you, if marauding gangs by night —Oh, how you will be destroyed!— Would they not steal only until they had enough? If grape pickers came to you, would they not leave some grapes to be gleaned?
6 “Oh, how Esau is ransacked, how his hidden treasures are thoroughly searched out!
7 All your allies will force you out of the land, your associates will deceive you and prevail against you. Your friends will lay out a trap for you, and you will never understand it!
8 “In that day,” declares the LORD, “will I not destroy the wise from Edom, and those with understanding from Esau’s Mountain?
9 Teman, our mighty soldiers will be dismayed, so that every man from Esau’s Mountain will be slaughtered.”
Also read the other 12 verses in the book of Obadiah.
Other modules in this unit:
- 931BC-913BC – King Rehoboam the first King of Judah
- 931BC-910BC – King Jeroboam the first King of the House of Israel
- 913-911BC – King Abijah or Abijam the 2nd king of Judah
- 911BC-870BC – King Asa the 3rd and a Good King of Judah
- 910BC – King Nadab the 2nd King of Israel
- 909BC-886BC – King Baasha the 3rd King of Israel
- 886BC-885BC – King Elah the 4th King of Israel
- 885BC – King Zimri the 5th King of Israel
- 885BC-874BC – King Omri the 6th King of Israel
- 874BC-853BC – King Ahab becomes the 7th King of Israel
- 860BC – The Widow of Zarephath received back her dead son
- 860BC-852BC – Elijah the prophet on Mount Carmel
- 874/73-853BC – Queen Jezebel an evil queen
- 856BC – Naboth’s family Vineyard and King Ahab
- 848BC – Micaiah a man of God, prophesies against King Ahab
- 873/72BC-848BC – King Jehoshaphat the 4th and a Good King of Judah
- 853BC-852BC – King Ahaziah the 8th King of Israel
- 853BC – King Jehoram the 5th King of Judah
- 852BC-841BC – King Jehoram the 9th King of Israel
- 860BC-852BC – Elisha the prophet who took over from Elijah
- 860BC-852BC – Elisha’s second of 32 Miracles – Healing of the water
- 852-796BC – The miracle of the Widow’s oil
- 852-796BC – The Shunammite woman had her son restored back to life
- 849BC – Naaman the man healed of Leprosy by Elisha the man of God
- 848BC-841BC – Obadiah the prophet of God
- 841BC – King Ahaziah the 6th King of Judah
- 841BC – Queen Athaliah the 7th King of Judah
- 841BC-814BC – King Jehu the 10th King of Israel
- 835BC – Joash the 8th King of Judah
- 835BC – Joel the prophet of God
- 814BC-798BC – King Jehoahaz the 11th King of Israel
- 798BC-782BC- King Jehoash the 12th King of Israel
- 796BC -767BC – King Amaziah the 9th and a Good King of Judah
- 793BC-753BC – King Jeroboam 2nd the 13th King of Israel
- 790BC – King Azariah the 10th and a good King of Judah
- 782BC-753BC – Jonah, a Prophet of God, and the Whale
- 760BC–755BC – Amos the prophet of God
- 755BC-710BC – The prophet Hosea
- 753BC – King Zechariah the 14th King of Israel
- 752BC – King Shallum the 15th King of Israel
- 752BC-742BC – King Menahem the 16th King of Israel
- 742BC-740BC – King Pekahiah the 17th King of Israel
- 740BC- 732BC – King Pekah the 18th King of Israel
- Questions and Answers 1-24
- Questions and Answers 25-43
- The 20 Kings of Judah who ruled between – 931BC-586BC
- The 19 Kings of Israel who ruled between – 931BC-722BC
- The 19 Kings of Israel – 931BC-722BC = 209 years
- Time Line for Divided Kingdom
- Timeline of the Kings of Israel
- Background Information – Prophets and Kings
- Resources – Prophets and Kings
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings part two