The black horse brought with it famine and diseases, the results of wars.
Food being weighed means food has become scarce.
The Greek word gnophos means: blackness, darkness or gloom.
The food had become eight times as expensive as normal. The basics were very dear and the luxuries were relatively cheap.
The Vision of the Third Seal Opened – The Black Horse
The third Seal: famines caused by the first two seals – Matthew 24:7
5 When the lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Go!” I looked, and there was aa black horse! Its rider held a scale in his hand. 6 I heard what sounded like a voice from among the four living creatures, saying, “bOne day’s ration of wheat for a cday’s wage, or dthree days’ ration of barley for a day’s wage! But edon’t damage the olive oil or the wine!”
a. This is a symbol of famine which is the result of the conquest and wars of the first two seals. Cf Lamentations 4:4-8; Matthew 24:7
b. Bread by measure and weight signifies scarcity of food (Ezekiel 4:10-17)
c. 17c. the daily wage (Matthew 20:1-16)
d. A measure was about 1 liter, a slave’s daily ration, an amount usually purchased for about two cents.
One could usually buy 8 measures of wheat or 24 measures of barley for two cents, but during this future famine only 1 measure of wheat or 3 measures of barley can be purchased for two cents.
This will make food 8 times higher than in normal times.
e. The olives and grapes need no cultivation; hence their ruthless destruction is forbidden.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Book of Revelation, Revelation 1:1-6
- Jesus coming back in the clouds, Revelation 1:4-8
- John on the Island of Patmos, Revelation 1:9-11
- Seven Churches, Revelation 1:9-11 and 1:4
- The Eightfold characteristics of the Son of Man, Revelation 1:12-20
- Jesus holds the keys, Revelation 1:17-18
- First Church, Ephesus; The Tree of Life, Revelation 2:1-7
- Second Church, Smyrna; Satan, Revelation 2:8-11
- Third Church, Pergamum; Manna, Revelation 2:12-17
- 4th Church, Thyatira; Morning Star, Revelation 2:18-29
- Fifth Church, Sardis; White robes, Revelation 3:1-6
- 6th Church, Philadelphia; Holy City, Revelation 3:7-13
- 7th Church, Laodicea; Door to your Heart, Revelation 3:14-22
- The Throne of God in Heaven, Revelation 4:1-11
- The Scroll and the Lamb, Revelation 5:1-14
- 1st seal – the white horse and rider, Revelation 6:1-2
- The Second Seal – the Red Horse, Revelation 6:3-4
- Third Seal – The black horse, Revelation 6:5-6
- The 4th Seal: the pale or green horse, Revelation 6:7-8
- 5th Seal – White Robes, Revelation 6:9-11
- The 6th Seal, Blackness, Revelation 6:12-17
- 1444,000 Jewish emissaries, Revelation 7:1-8
- Believers in White Robes holding palm branches, Revelation 7:9-17
- Jesus opens the Seventh Seal, Revelation 8:1
- Angel with the Golden Censer, Revelation 8:3-6
- 1st Trumpet – Hail and fire mixed with blood, Revelation 8:7
- The second Trumpet or second Shofar, Revelation 8:8-9
- The Judgment of the Third trumpet or Shofar, Revelation 8:10-11
- The Judgment of the Fourth Trumpet or 4th Shofar, Revelation 8:12
- The first Horror, Revelation 8:13
- The Fifth Trumpet or fifth Shofar, Revelation 9:1-12
- The Second Horror, calamity, terror, Revelation 9:13 to 11:14
- The Sixth Trumpet or Sixth Shofar released 200 million soldiers for war, Revelation 9:13-21
- The Angel, Revelation 10:1-7
- The Little Scroll, Revelation 10:8-11
- 1260 Days of the Gentiles, Revelation 11:1-2
- 1260 Days of the Two Witnesses, Revelation 11:3-6
- The Two Witnesses of God, Revelation 11:1-14
- Earthquake, Revelation 11:13-14
- The Seventh Trumpet or shofar sounds, Revelation 11:15-18
- Announcement of the third horror, Revelation 12:10-12
- The Ark of God, Revelation 11:19
- Questions and Answers to questions 1 to 44 inclusive
- The book of Revelation Part Two » »
- Background Information – Revelation Part One
- Resources – Revelation Part One