The fourth church for which Jesus has a message is commended for its works, love, service, faith and patience.
However, he warns against its tolerance of a Jezebel spirit seducing God’s servants.
To those who overcome, He promises the morning star – one of Jesus’ names (see Numbers 24:17).
Thyatira is near the river Lycus and is one of a number of cities of the kingdom of Lydia. The city is now called Ark-Hissar which means White Castle.
Thyatira was famous for purple cloth. Lydia one of Paul’s converts, Acts 16:14-40 came from Thyatira.
The Letter to the Church in Thyatira – 4th Church
18 “To the messenger of the church in Thyatira, write:
‘The Son of God, whose eyes are like flaming fire and whose feet are like glowing bronze, says this:
19 ‘I know what you’ve been doing—your love, faithfulness,i service, and endurance—and that your last actions are greater than the first. 20But I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet and who teaches and leads my servants to practice immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols. 21I gave her time to repent, but she refused to repent of her immorality. 22Look! I am going to strike her with illness.j Those who commit adultery with her will also suffer greatly, unless they repent from acting like her. 23I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am the one who searches minds and hearts. I will reward each of you as your actions deserve.
24 ‘But as for the rest of you in Thyatira—you who do not hold to this teaching and who have not learned what some people call the deep things of Satan—I won’t burden you with anything else. 25Just hold on to what you have until I come. 26To the person who conquers and continues to do what I’ve commanded to the end, I will give authority over the nations.
27 ‘He will rule them with an iron scepter;
shattering them like clay pots.’
28 ‘Just as I have received authority from my Father, I will also give him the morning star.
29 ‘Let everyone listen to what the Spirit says to the churches.’”
Other modules in this unit:
- The Book of Revelation, Revelation 1:1-6
- Jesus coming back from the Clouds, Revelation 1:4-8
- John on the Island of Patmos, Revelation 1:9-11
- Seven Churches, Revelation 1:9-11 and 1:4
- The Eight fold characteristics of the son of man, Revelation 1:12-20
- Jesus holds the keys, Revelation 1:17-18
- First Church, Ephesus; The Tree of Life, Revelation 2:1-7
- Second Church, Smyrna; Satan, Revelation 2:8-11
- Third church, Pergamum; Manna, Revelation 2:12-17
- Fourth church, Thyatira; Morning Star, Revelation 2:18-29
- Fifth Church, Sardis; White robes, Revelation 3:1-6
- 6th church, Philadelphia; Holy City, Revelation 3:7-13
- 7th Church, Laodicea; Door to your Heart, Revelation 3:14-22
- The Throne of God in Heaven, Revelation 4:1-11
- The Scroll and the Lamb, Revelation 5:1-14
- 1st seal – the white horse and rider, Revelation 6:1-2
- The Second seal – the Red Horse, Revelation 6:3-4
- 3rd Seal – The black horse, Revelation 6:5-6
- The Fourth Seal: the pale or green horse, Revelation 6:7-8
- 5th Seal – White Robes, Revelation 6:9-11
- 6th Seal, Blackness, Revelation 6:12-17
- 1444,000 Jewish missionaries, Revelation 7:1-8
- Believers in white Robes holding palm branches, Revelation 7:9-17
- Jesus opens the Seventh Seal, Revelation 8:1
- Angel with the Golden Censer, Revelation 8:3-6
- 1st Trumpet – Hail and fire mixed with blood, Revelation 8:7
- The second Trumpet or second Shofar, Revelation 8:8-9
- The Judgment of the Third trumpet or Shofar, Revelation 8:10-11
- The Judgment of the Fourth Trumpet or 4th Shofar, Revelation 8:12
- The first Horror, Revelation 8:13
- The Fifth Trumpet or fifth Shofar, Revelation 9:1-12
- The Second Horror, horrors, calamity, terror, Revelation 9:13 to 11:14
- Sixth Trumpet or sixth Shofar released 200 million soldiers for war, Revelation 9:13-21
- The Angel, Revelation 10:1-7
- The Little Scroll, Revelation 10:8-11
- 1260 Days of the Gentiles, Revelation 11:1-2
- 1260 Days of the Two Witnesses, Revelation 11:3-6
- The Two Witnesses of God, Revelation 11:1-14
- Earthquake, Revelation 11:13-14
- The Seventh Trumpet or shofar sounds, Revelation 11:15-18
- Announcement of the third horror, Revelation 12:10-12
- The Ark of God, Revelation 11:19
- Questions and Answers to questions 1 to 44 inclusive
- The book of Revelation Part Two – Click Here
- Background Information – Revelation Part One
- Resources – Revelation Part One