No one could open this scroll until Jesus was pointed out as the Lamb of God that was slain.
Jesus now starts to open the seven seals one by one.
Notice what the twenty-four elders are doing and singing in the reading below while Jesus in opening the seals on the scroll.
The twenty-four elders are singing about the one who is to reign forever and ever.
The Vision of the Scroll with Seven Seals
5:1 Then I saw in the right hand of the one who sits on the throne a scroll written on the inside and on the outside, sealed with seven seals. 2 I also saw a powerful angel proclaiming with a loud voice, “Who is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals?” 3No one in heaven, on earth, or under the earth could open the scroll or look inside it. 4 I began to cry bitterly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or look inside it.
5 “Stop crying,” one of the elders told me. “Look! The Lion from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered. He can open the scroll and its seven seals.”
The Vision of the Lamb Taking the Scroll
6 Then I saw a lamb standing in the middle of the throne, the four living creatures, and the elders. He looked like he had been slaughtered. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent into all the earth. 7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of the one who sits on the throne.
8 When the lamb had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders bowed down in front of him. Each held a harp and a gold bowl full of incense, the prayers of the saints. 9 They sang a new song:
“You are worthy to take the scroll and open its seals,
because you were slaughtered.
With your blood you purchased people for God
from every tribe, language, people, and nation.
10 You made them a kingdom and priests for our God,
and they will reign on the earth.”
The Vision of the Song of the Lamb
11 Then I looked, and I heard the voices of many angels, the living creatures, and the elders surrounding the throne. They numbered 10,000’s times 10,000 and thousands times thousands. 12They sang with a loud voice,
“Worthy is the lamb who was slaughtered
to receive power, wealth, wisdom, strength, honor, glory, and praise!”
13 I heard every creature in heaven, on earth, under the earth, and on the sea, and everything that is in them, saying,
“To the one who sits on the throne and to the lamb
be praise, honor, glory, and power forever and ever!”
14 Then the four living creatures said, “Amen!”, and the elders bowed down and worshipped.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Book of Revelation, Revelation 1:1-6
- Jesus coming back with the clouds, Revelation 1:4-8
- John on the Island of Patmos, Revelation 1:9-11
- Seven Churches, Revelation 1:9-11 and 1:4
- The Eightfold characteristics of the Son of Man, Revelation 1:12-20
- Jesus holds the keys, Revelation 1:17-18
- First Church, Ephesus; The Tree of Life, Revelation 2:1-7
- Second Church, Smyrna; Satan, Revelation 2:8-11
- Third Church, Pergamum; Manna, Revelation 2:12-17
- Fourth Church, Thyatira; Morning Star, Revelation 2:18-29
- Fifth Church, Sardis; White robes, Revelation 3:1-6
- 6th Church, Philadelphia; Holy City, Revelation 3:7-13
- 7th Church, Laodicea; Door to your Heart, Revelation 3:14-22
- The Throne of God in Heaven, Revelation 4:1-11
- The Scroll and the Lamb, Revelation 5:1-14
- 1st seal – the white horse and rider, Revelation 6:1-2
- The Second Seal – the Red Horse, Revelation 6:3-4
- 3rd Seal – The black horse, Revelation 6:5-6
- The Fourth Seal: the pale or green horse, Revelation 6:7-8
- 5th Seal – White Robes, Revelation 6:9-11
- 6th Seal, Blackness, Revelation 6:12-17
- 1444,000 Jewish missionaries, Revelation 7:1-8
- Believers in white Robes holding palm branches, Revelation 7:9-17
- Jesus opens the Seventh Seal, Revelation 8:1
- Angel with the Golden Censer, Revelation 8:3-6
- 1st Trumpet – Hail and fire mixed with blood, Revelation 8:7
- The second Trumpet or second Shofar, Revelation 8:8-9
- The Judgment of the Third trumpet or Shofar, Revelation 8:10-11
- The Judgment of the Fourth Trumpet or 4th Shofar, Revelation 8:12
- The first Horror, Revelation 8:13
- The Fifth Trumpet or fifth Shofar, Revelation 9:1-12
- The Second Horror, horrors, calamity, terror, Revelation 9:13 to 11:14
- Sixth Trumpet or sixth Shofar released 200 million soldiers for war, Revelation 9:13-21
- The Angel, Revelation 10:1-7
- The Little Scroll, Revelation 10:8-11
- 1260 Days of the Gentiles, Revelation 11:1-2
- 1260 Days of the Two Witnesses, Revelation 11:3-6
- The Two Witnesses of God, Revelation 11:1-14
- Earthquake, Revelation 11:13-14
- The Seventh Trumpet or shofar sounds, Revelation 11:15-18
- Announcement of the third horror, Revelation 12:10-12
- The Ark of God, Revelation 11:19
- Questions and Answers to questions 1 to 44 inclusive
- The book of Revelation Part Two – Click Here
- Background Information – Revelation Part One
- Resources – Revelation Part One