1 Kings 16:15-28. Omri ruled for 12 years. First six years he ruled in Tirzah and then moved to a hill he called Samaria.
He sinned against the Lord and led Israel into sin. His son Ahab succeeded him at his death.
King Omri, a strong and decisive ruler, and the founder of Samaria, House of Israel’s capital for about 150 years.
Lacking God’s help, King Omri allowed Syria to encroach on Israel’s land.
Omri in Hebrew means: The Lord is my life.
King Omri – 6th king of Israel
16:21 The army of Israel was divided into two parties: half of the army were loyal to Ginath’s son Tibni and wanted to make him king, and half were loyal to Omri. 22 But the army that was loyal to Omri was victorious over Ginath’s son Tibni. Tibni later died and Omri became king. 23 During the thirty-first year of the reign of King Asa of Judah, Omri became king over Israel. He reigned for twelve years, six of them at Tirzah. 24 He bought the hill of Samaria from Shemer for two talents of silver, fortified the hill, and named the city Samaria after Shemer, the former owner of the hill. 25 Omri practiced what the LORD considered to be evil, doing far more evil than anyone who had reigned before him. 26 He lived just like Nebat’s son Jeroboam, and by his sin he led Israel into sin, provoking the LORD God of Israel with their idolatry. 27 Now the rest of Omri’s accomplishments, including the power that he demonstrated, are recorded in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel, are they not? 28 So Omri died, as had his ancestors, and he was buried in Samaria. His son Ahab became king in his place.king.
2 Kings 16:21-28
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam the first King of the House of Israel
- King Nadab the 2nd King of Israel
- King Baasha the 3rd King of Israel
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel
- King Zimri the 5th King of Israel
- King Omri the 6th King of Israel
- King Ahab the 7th King of Israel
- King Ahaziah the 8th King of Israel
- King Jehoram the 9th King of Israel
- King Jehu the 10th King of Israel
- King Jehoahaz the 11th King of Israel
- King Jehoash the 12th King of Israel
- King Jeroboam 2nd the 13th King of Israel
- King Zechariah the 14th King of Israel
- King Shallum the 15th King of Israel
- King Menahem the 16th King of Israel
- King Pekahiah the 17th King of Israel
- King Pekah the 18th King of Israel
- King Hoshea the 19th and last King of Israel
- Questions 1-19
- The 19 Kings of Israel – 931BC-722BC = 209 years
- Timeline of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings » »