2 Kings 13:1:9. King Jehoahaz ruled Israel 17 years. He sinned against the Lord and led Israel into sin. Because of the sins of King Jehoahaz God allowed King Hazael of Syria to defeat Israel time after time.
He reigned for 17 years 814BC-798BC in Samaria northern Israel.
When Jehoahaz died, his son Joash became king.
Jehoahaz in Hebrew means: God has held firmly.
King Jehoahaz – 11th king of Israel
13:1 During the twenty-third year of the reign of Ahaziah’s son Joash, king of Judah, Jehu’s son Jehoahaz began his seventeen year reign in Samaria over Israel. 2 He did what the LORD considered to be evil, after the patternb of Nebat’s son Jeroboam. By doing so, he caused Israel to sin, and he never changed course from it. 3 As a result, the LORD’s wrath flared up against Israel, so he handed them over to domination by king Hazael of Aram and later into constant domination by Hazael’s son Ben-hadad. 4 But Jehoahaz sought the LORD, and the LORD paid attention to him, because the LORD had been watching the oppression that Israel was enduring from the king of Aram.
God Delivers Israel
5 The LORD provided Israel with a deliverer, so they escaped the Aramean oppression while the descendants of Israel lived in tents as they had formerly. 6 Nevertheless, they did not change course away from the sins of Jeroboam’s household, by which he caused Israel to sin, but continued on that same course, with Asherah poles remaining in place in Samaria. 7 For the Aramean king had left only 50 cavalry, ten chariots, and 10,000 soldiers out of the army belonging to Jehoahaz, because the king of Aram had destroyed the others, making them like chaff left over after threshing.
8 Now the rest of the activities of Jehoahaz, including everything he did and his grandeur, are recorded in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel, are they not? 9 So Jehoahaz died, as did his ancestors, and he was buried in Samaria while his son Joash replaced him as king.
2 Kings 13:1-9
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam the first King of the House of Israel
- King Nadab the 2nd King of Israel
- King Baasha the 3rd King of Israel
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel
- King Zimri the 5th King of Israel
- King Omri the 6th King of Israel
- King Ahab the 7th King of Israel
- King Ahaziah the 8th King of Israel
- King Jehoram the 9th King of Israel
- King Jehu the 10th King of Israel
- King Jehoahaz the 11th King of Israel
- King Jehoash the 12th King of Israel
- King Jeroboam 2nd the 13th King of Israel
- King Zechariah the 14th King of Israel
- King Shallum the 15th King of Israel
- King Menahem the 16th King of Israel
- King Pekahiah the 17th King of Israel
- King Pekah the 18th King of Israel
- King Hoshea the 19th and last King of Israel
- The 19 Kings of Israel – 931BC-722BC = 209 years
- Timeline of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings » »