2 Kings 14:29-15:12. King Zechariah ruled in Samaria for six months. He sinned against the Lord and led Israel into sin. He was killed in front of the people by Shallum who became the next king.
So the word of the LORD spoken to King Jehu was fulfilled: “Your descendants will sit on the throne of Israel to the fourth generation.”
The death of King Zechariah ended the dynasty of Jehu after four generations, fulfilling the prophecy by God in 2 Kings 10:30.
Zechariah in Hebrew means: remembered by the Lord.
King Zechariah – 14th king of Israel
15:8 During the thirty-eighth year of the reign of Azariah, king of Judah, Jeroboam’s son Zachariah began a six-month reign in Samaria. 9 He did what the LORD considered to be evil, just as his ancestors had done. He never abandoned the sins of Nebat’s son Jeroboam, who caused Israel to sin. 10 So Jabesh’s son Shallum conspired against him and attacked him in full view of the people, killed him, and reigned in his place. 11 The rest of Zachariah’s activities are recorded in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel.
2 Kings 15:8-11
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam the first King of the House of Israel
- King Nadab the 2nd King of Israel
- King Baasha the 3rd King of Israel
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel
- King Zimri the 5th King of Israel
- King Omri the 6th King of Israel
- King Ahab the 7th King of Israel
- King Ahaziah the 8th King of Israel
- King Jehoram the 9th King of Israel
- King Jehu the 10th King of Israel
- King Jehoahaz the 11th King of Israel
- King Jehoash the 12th King of Israel
- King Jeroboam 2nd the 13th King of Israel
- King Zechariah the 14th King of Israel
- King Shallum the 15th King of Israel
- King Menahem the 16th King of Israel
- King Pekahiah the 17th King of Israel
- King Pekah the 18th King of Israel
- King Hoshea the 19th and last King of Israel
- Questions and Answers 1-19
- The 19 Kings of Israel – 931BC-722BC = 209 years
- Timeline of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings » »