2 Kings 17:1-6. King Hoshea ruled for nine years. He sinned against the Lord God. He then was taken to Assyria by Emperor Shalmaneser or his successor Emperor Sargon II.
Shalmaneser V, the king of Assyria, then campaigned against king Hoshea and Samaria, the northern kingdom of Israel. Forced Hoshea the king of Samaria to submit and pay lots of money to him.
The king of Assyria also took about 27,290 more captives.
King Hoshea was also relying on help from Egypt which never came. He never asked the Lord God for help, which he should have done.
Hoshea in Hebrew means: salvation.
It’s a very sorry saga, isn’t it! Yet it was in the north that the two great prophets Elijah and Elisha arose.
Hoshea 19th and last King of Israel – Israel Falls to Assyria during Hoshea’s Reign
17:1 During the twelfth year of the reign of King Ahaz of Judah, Elah’s son Hoshea became king over Israel for nine years in Samaria. 2 He practiced what the LORD considered to be evil, though not like the kings of Israel who had preceded him.3 King Shalmaneser of Assyria attacked him, and Hoshea became his servant and paid tribute to him. 4 But the king of Assyria uncovered a conspiracy involving Hoshea, who had sent envoys to King So of Egypt and stopped offering tribute to the king of Assyria, as he had done annually. As a result, the king of Assyria placed him under arrest and sent him to prison. 5 After this, the king of Assyria invaded the entire land, approached Samaria, and began a three year siege. 6 As a result, during the ninth year of the reign of Hoshea, the king of Assyria captured Samaria and took the Israelis off to Assyria, placing them in Halah, along the Habor River in Gozan, and in cities ruled by the Medes.
2 Kings 17:1-6
Other modules in this unit:
- King Jeroboam the first King of the House of Israel
- King Nadab the 2nd King of Israel
- King Baasha the 3rd King of Israel
- King Elah the 4th King of Israel
- King Zimri the 5th King of Israel
- King Omri the 6th King of Israel
- King Ahab the 7th King of Israel
- King Ahaziah the 8th King of Israel
- King Jehoram the 9th King of Israel
- King Jehu the 10th King of Israel
- King Jehoahaz the 11th King of Israel
- King Jehoash the 12th King of Israel
- King Jeroboam 2nd the 13th King of Israel
- King Zechariah the 14th King of Israel
- King Shallum the 15th King of Israel
- King Menahem the 16th King of Israel
- King Pekahiah the 17th King of Israel
- King Pekah the 18th King of Israel
- King Hoshea the 19th and last King of Israel
- Questions and Answers 1-19
- The 19 Kings of Israel – 931BC-722BC = 209 years
- Timeline of the Kings of Israel
- Next Module – Prophets and Kings » »