2 Kings 24:17-25:30. Zedekiah the 20th King of Judah, 2 Chronicles 36:11-21 and Jeremiah 52:1-34.
King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon appointed Zedekiah to be King of Judah, which made him the 20th and, as it happened, the last king of Judah. King Zedekiah reigned for 11 years = 597BC -586BC and was evil in God’s eyes.
King Nebuchadnezzar later deported King Zedekiah to Babylon because he did not do what he had asked him to do.
King Nebuchadnezzar then made King Jehoiachin’s uncle, Mattaniah, King of Judah and at the same time changed the name of Mattaniah to Zedekiah.
King Jehoiachin had been the 19th king of Judah.
Mattaniah in Hebrew means: gift of Jehovah.
Zedekiah in Hebrew means: The LORD is my righteousness.
Look in the Kings of Judah for the other previous 19 kings of Judah.
Zedekiah King of Judah – 20th and last king of Judah
36:11 Zedekiah was 21 years old when he became king, and he reigned for eleven years in Jerusalem. 12 He practiced what the LORD his God considered to be evil and never humbled himself before Jeremiah the prophet who spoke for the LORD. 13 Zedekiah rebelled against King Nebuchadnezzar, who had made him swear allegiance in the name of God. Instead, he stiffened his resolve, and hardened his heart, and would not return to the LORD God of Israel.
Nebuchadnezzar’s Third Capture of Jerusalem
14 Meanwhile, all the officials who supervised the priests and the people remained unfaithful, following the detestable example of the surrounding nations. They polluted the LORD’s Temple that he had consecrated in Jerusalem. 15 The LORD God of their ancestors pleaded with them time and again through his messengers, because he had compassion on his people and on the place of his residence, 16 but they mocked God’s messengers, despised his words, and scoffed at his prophets, until there was no remedy for the wrath of the LORD that arose to punish his people. 17 Therefore he brought up the king of the Chaldeans against them, who executed their young men in the holy Temple, showing no compassion on young man or young virgin, adult men or the aged. God gave them all into the king’s control, 18 who took back to Babylon every article in God’s Temple, whether large or small, including the treasuries of the LORD’s Temple, the king’s assets, and those of his officers. 19 After this, they set fire to God’s Temple, demolished the wall around Jerusalem, burned all of its fortified buildings, and destroyed everything of value. 20 Nebuchadnezzar carried off to Babylon those who survived the executions, and they served him and his descendants until the kingdom of Persia came to power. 21 All of this fulfilled what the LORD had predicted through Jeremiah. And so the land enjoyed its Sabbaths, and the length of the land’s desolation lasted until a 70-year long Sabbath had been completed.
2 Chronicles 36:11-21
Also read 2 Kings 24:17-25:30 and Jeremiah 52:1-34.
Other modules in this unit:
- 750BC – King Jotham the 11th and a good King of Judah
- Isaiah the Prophet (739BC-680BC) wrote the book Isaiah
- 735BC – King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah
- 735BC-700BC – Micah the Prophet
- 732BC- 723BC – King Hoshea the last King of Israel was taken to Assyria
- 722BC – Israel Exiled as Slaves because of sin
- 716BC-686BC – King Hezekiah was the 13th King of Judah
- 716-686BC – King Hezekiah – the sun goes backward
- 695BC – King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah
- 660BC – The Prophet Nahum
- 642BC – King Amon the 15th King of Judah
- 640BC – King Josiah the 16th and a good King of Judah
- 630BC – The Prophet Zephaniah
- 627BC-580BC – Jeremiah the prophet of God
- 627BC – Jeremiah visited the potter’s house
- 609BC – King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah
- 609BC-598BC – King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah
- 609BC – Uriah the Prophet
- 607BC – The Prophet Habakkuk
- 605BC-536BC – The book of Daniel
- 604BC – Jeremiah used a scribe called Baruch
- 603BC – King Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream
- 597BC – King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah
- 595BC – Judah goes into Slavery to Babylon
- 592BC-570BC – The Scroll – one of Ezekiel’s messages
- 587BC – Jeremiah the Prophet of God is put down a well
- 597BC-586BC – Zedekiah the 20th King of Judah
- 586BC – Jerusalem goes into captivity
- Golden Image made by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon
- 605BC-562BC – Fiery test in the Fiery Furnace
- 572BC – The Valley of Dry Bones
- 539BC-538BC – Daniel in the Lions Den
- 520BC – The Prophet Haggai
- 536BC-516BC – Temple rebuilt by Zerubbabel
- 528BC-488BC – The Prophet Zechariah
- 468BC – Esther becomes the Queen of Persia
- 464BC – Nehemiah rebuilds the walls
- 458BC – Ezra
- 435BC-412B – Malachi a prophet of God
- 400 Years – the gap between Malachi and Jesus
- 170BC-37BC – Hasmonean Dynasty, This family stayed faithful to God
- 63BC – A Roman Soldier representing the Roman Empire in the restored Israel
- 20BC-AD25 – King Herod the Great built a Temple for the Jews
- Angel Gabriel God’s Messenger
- 4BC -AD32 – Jesus – The author and giver of all faith
- AD32 – The cross, a Roman method of killing people
- Questions and Answers 1-24
- Questions and Answers 25-46
- Next Module – 400 years