Esther 1:1-9. The beautiful Jewish girl from the tribe of Benjamin who saved her people, the people of Israel. Esther became the wife of King Ahasuerus of Persia, also known as Xerxes or Achashverosh, the son of Darius I Hystaspes, about the year 478BC.
Esther is the Persian name for Hadassah. She was the daughter of Abihail, who was Mordecai’s uncle. (Mordecai had adopted his younger cousin Hadassah.)
Hadassah in Hebrew means: Myrtle and her Persian name Esther means: The planet Venus.
Today the deliverance of Israel recorded in the book of Esther is celebrated by the feast of Purim.
Attacks on the Jews by Satan via these nations:
Syrians – remembered in the feast of Hanukkah.
Persians – remembered in the feast of Purim.
Egyptians – remembered in the feast of Passover.
Romans – remembered in the feast of Lag b’Omer.
Arabs – remembered in the feast of Independence Day.
The Banquets and the wealth of the King Ahasuerus
1:1 This is a record of what happened during the reign of Ahasuerus, the Ahasuerus who ruled over 127 provinces from India to Cush. 2 At that time King Ahasuerus was ruling from Susa the capital. 3 In the third year of his reign, he gave a banquet for all his officials and ministers, and the military leaders of Persia and Media, the nobles, and the provincial officials were present. 4 He displayed the enormous wealth of his kingdom, along with its splendid beauty and greatness for many days—for 180 days in all.
The Banquet of King Ahasuerus
5 When those days were over, the king held a seven-day banquet in the courtyard of the garden of his palace for all the people who were present in Susa the capital, from the greatest to the least important. 6 There were curtains of white and blue linen tied with cords of fine linen and purple material to silver rings on marble columns. There were couches of gold and silver on a mosaic pavement of porphyry, marble, mother-of-pearl and other precious stones. 7 Drinks were served in gold vessels of various kinds, and there was plenty of royal wine because the king was generous. 8 According to the king’s decree the drinking was not compulsory because the king instructed every steward in his house to serve each individual what he desired. 9 Queen Vashti also held a banquet in the royal palace of King Ahasuerus for the women.
Now read the rest of the book of Esther to find out what happens.
To read the complete story of Esther look up the book of Esther in the Bible.
- Ahasuerus allso known as Xerxes or Achashverosh 486BC-464BC.
- Vashti deposed 483BC.
- Hadassah or Esther becomes Queen 478BC.
- Feast of Purim 473BC.
Other slides in this module:
- 750BC – King Jotham the 11th and a good King of Judah
- Isaiah the Prophet (739BC-680BC) wrote the book Isaiah
- 735BC – King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah
- 735BC-700BC – Micah the Prophet
- 732BC- 723BC – King Hoshea the last King of Israel was taken to Assyria
- 722BC – Israel Exiled as Slaves because of sin
- 716BC-686BC – King Hezekiah was the 13th King of Judah
- 716-686BC – King Hezekiah – the sun goes backward
- 695BC – King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah
- 660BC – The Prophet Nahum
- 642BC – King Amon the 15th King of Judah
- 640BC – King Josiah the 16th and a good King of Judah
- 630BC – The Prophet Zephaniah
- 627BC-580BC – Jeremiah the prophet of God
- 627BC – Jeremiah visited the potter’s house
- 609BC – King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah
- 609BC-598BC – King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah
- 609BC – Uriah the Prophet
- 607BC – The Prophet Habakkuk
- 605BC-536BC – The book of Daniel
- 604BC – Jeremiah used a scribe called Baruch
- 603BC – King Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream
- 597BC – King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah
- 595BC – Judah goes into Slavery to Babylon
- 592BC-570BC – The Scroll – one of Ezekiel’s messages
- 587BC – Jeremiah the Prophet of God is put down a well
- 597BC-586BC – Zedekiah the 20th King of Judah
- 586BC – Jerusalem goes into captivity
- Golden Image made by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon
- 605BC-562BC – Fiery test in the Fiery Furnace
- 572BC – The Valley of Dry Bones
- 539BC-538BC – Daniel in the Lions Den
- 520BC – The Prophet Haggai
- 536BC-516BC – Temple rebuilt by Zerubbabel
- 528BC-488BC – The Prophet Zechariah
- 468BC – Esther becomes the Queen of Persia
- 464BC – Nehemiah rebuilds the walls
- 458BC – Ezra
- 435BC-412B – Malachi a prophet of God
- 400 Years – the gap between Malachi and Jesus
- 170BC-37BC – Hasmonean Dynasty, This family stayed faithful to God
- 63BC – A Roman Soldier representing the Roman Empire in the restored Israel
- 20BC-AD25 – King Herod the Great built a Temple for the Jews
- Angel Gabriel God’s Messenger
- 4BC -AD32 – Jesus – The author and giver of all faith
- AD32 – The cross, a Roman method of killing people
- Questions and Answers 1-24
- Questions and Answers 25-46
- Next Module – 400 years