Nahum prophesied about the same time as Zephaniah, Jeremiah and Habakkuk. Nahum prophesied against Nineveh, the capital of Assyria. The prophet describes the cruelty of the Assyrians as they conquered nation after nation. They conquered the Kingdom of Israel as the northern half of Israel was called in 722BC. The Nahum predicts the end of the Kingdom of Assyria.
1:1 A pronouncementa about Nineveh: The record of the vision of Nahumb from Elkosh.
The LORD’s Anger against Assyria
2 A jealous God, the LORD avenges.
The LORD avenges;
The Lord is an angry husband.
The LORD takes vengeance on his enemies,
reserving anger for his adversaries.
3 The LORD is slow to anger and powerful,
and he will never let the guiltyc go unpunished.
The LORD’s path is in the windstorm and hurricane;
thunderclouds are dust beneath his feet.
4 He rebukes the sea, and it evaporates;
he dries up all the rivers.
Bashan and Carmel wither,
while the flowers of Lebanon languish.
5 Mountains shake because of him,
and the hills melt.
The earth goes into upheaval at his presence,
as does the world with all of its inhabitants.
6 Who can stand before his fury?
And who can endure his fierce anger?
His displeasure pours out like fire,
and rocks are broken to pieces because of him.
Other modules in this unit:
- 750BC – King Jotham the 11th and a good King of Judah
- Isaiah the Prophet (739BC-680BC) wrote the book Isaiah
- 735BC – King Ahaz the 12th King of Judah
- 735BC-700BC – Micah the Prophet
- 732BC- 723BC – King Hoshea the last King of Israel was taken to Assyria
- 722BC – Israel Exiled as Slaves because of sin
- 716BC-686BC – King Hezekiah was the 13th King of Judah
- 716-686BC – King Hezekiah – the sun goes backward
- 695BC – King Manasseh the 14th King of Judah
- 660BC – The Prophet Nahum
- 642BC – King Amon the 15th King of Judah
- 640BC – King Josiah the 16th and a good King of Judah
- 630BC – The Prophet Zephaniah
- 627BC-580BC – Jeremiah the prophet of God
- 627BC – Jeremiah visited the potter’s house
- 609BC – King Jehoahaz the 17th King of Judah
- 609BC-598BC – King Jehoiakim the 18th King of Judah
- 609BC – Uriah the Prophet
- 607BC – The Prophet Habakkuk
- 605BC-536BC – The book of Daniel
- 604BC – Jeremiah used a scribe called Baruch
- 603BC – King Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream
- 597BC – King Jehoiachin the 19th King of Judah
- 595BC – Judah goes into Slavery to Babylon
- 592BC-570BC – The Scroll – one of Ezekiel’s messages
- 587BC – Jeremiah the Prophet of God is put down a well
- 597BC-586BC – Zedekiah the 20th King of Judah
- 586BC – Jerusalem goes into captivity
- Golden Image made by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon
- 605BC-562BC – Fiery test in the Fiery Furnace
- 572BC – The Valley of Dry Bones
- 539BC-538BC – Daniel in the Lions Den
- 520BC – The Prophet Haggai
- 536BC-516BC – Temple rebuilt by Zerubbabel
- 528BC-488BC – The Prophet Zechariah
- 468BC – Esther becomes the Queen of Persia
- 464BC – Nehemiah rebuilds the walls
- 458BC – Ezra
- 435BC-412B – Malachi a prophet of God
- 400 Years – the gap between Malachi and Jesus
- 170BC-37BC – Hasmonean Dynasty, This family stayed faithful to God
- 63BC – A Roman Soldier representing the Roman Empire in the restored Israel
- 20BC-AD25 – King Herod the Great built a Temple for the Jews
- Angel Gabriel God’s Messenger
- 4BC -AD32 – Jesus – The author and giver of all faith
- AD32 – The cross, a Roman method of killing people
- Questions and Answers 1-24
- Questions and Answers 25-46
- Next Module – 400 years