Two brothers from the Hasmonean dynasty in 63BC, Hyrcanus and Aristobulus, vied for the throne in Jerusalem because neither could win they invited Rome to intervene which they did and the Roman over loads did not leave until the Empire fell some 500 years later.
The Romans were seen as a foreign occupying force by many of the local Jews.
The head quarters for Roman army was at Caesarea with a sea port called Sebastos.
In 63 BC the Roman general Pompey was only too happy to come to their assistance.
The Jews had to pay taxes to Rome that is why they hated the tax collectors like Matthew.
By law a Roman soldier could force anybody to carry his equipment 1 mile. – Matthew 5:41.
Other modules in this unit:
- Start of the 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- Alexander the Great
- Antiochus IV Epiphanes
- Hasmonean Dynasty, This family stayed faithful to God
- Temple built by Zerubbabel is purified and rededicated
- High Priest
- John Hyrcanus II
- Roman Soldier
- Herod the Great, Matthew 2:16-18
- Temple Built By Herod The Great
- End 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- The Angel Gabriel Talks To Mary, Luke 1:26-38
- Jesus A Newly Born Baby, Luke 2:1-7 & Matthew 1:18-25
- John the Baptist Suffered wearing sheepskins, Luke 1:5-25
- Jesus the Man
- The death of Jesus on the cross, Luke 22:1-24:12
- Jesus is coming from the cloud
- Next Module – The Birth of Jesus
- Time Line for 400 years
- Background Information: 400 Silent Years
- Resources: 400 Years