Matthew 2:16-18. Herod the Great becomes the ruler of Israel.
He ruled Judea, Samaria and Galilee, most of what is often incorrectly called Palestine today. He died in 4BC.
Herod built MASADA as his summer palace.
The Roman Senate had appointed Herod, an Idumean, as king of Judea in 37BC. He died during 4BC
In Greek Herod means: heroic.
Herod’s Plot to kill Jesus
2:16 Herod flew into a rage when he learned that he had been tricked by the wise men, so he ordered the execution of all the male children in Bethlehem and all its neighboring regions, who were two years old and younger, according to the time that he had determined from the wise men. 17 Then what was declared by the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled when he said,
18 “A voice was heard in Ramah:
wailing and great mourning.
Rachel was crying for her children.
She refused to be comforted,
because they no longer existed.”
Also Matthew 26:3-4.
Herod the Great was an Idumean and was made king by the Romans 40BC and took office in 37BC and died in 4BC.
How do we find which Herod is which?
There are a number of men called HEROD in the Bible, starting with Herod the Great who died in spring (March, April, May) 4BC. There are also a number of rulers descending from this man to whom the Bible gives names other than Herod in their Title e.g. .
Herod died aged 69 possibly of chronic kidney disease.
Which Herod was Jesus referring to in Mark 8:15? It was Herod Antipas (Galilee & Perea), “that fox.”
Other modules in this unit:
- Start of the 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- Alexander the Great
- Antiochus IV Epiphanes
- Hasmonean Dynasty. This family stayed faithful to God
- Temple built by Zerubbabel is purified and rededicated
- High Priest
- High Priest – John Hyrcanus II
- Roman Soldier
- King Herod the Great
- Temple Built By King Herod the Great
- End of the 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- John the Baptist suffered wearing sheepskins
- The Angel Gabriel Talks To Mary
- Jesus A Newly Born Baby
- Jesus the Man
- The death of Jesus on the cross
- Jesus is coming from the cloud
- Questions and Answers 1-17
- Next Module – The Birth of Jesus » »
- Time Line for 400 years
- Background Information: 400 Years
- Resources: 400 Years