This was the place where the people of God worshiped God.
The Tabernacle was so constructed that all its parts could be carried by the priests as the Israelites moved from one camp to the next.
Certain sub-tribes within Levi were to carry different sections of the Ark when they traveled.
The Kohathites carried the Holy things, the Gershonites carried the curtains and soft furnishings of the Tabernacle and the Meratties carried the poles and bases to put the Tabernacle up – Numbers 4:1-49.
Moses Inspects the Completed Work on the Tabernacle
39:32 All the work on the Tent of Meeting was completed, and the Israelis had crafted it according to everything that the LORD had commanded Moses, as they should have. 33 They brought to Moses the tent, all its furnishings, its clasps, its boards, its bars, its pillars, its sockets, 34 the covering of ram skins dyed red, the covering of dolphin skins, the curtain, 35 the Ark of the Testimony and its poles, the Mercy Seat, 36 the table and all its utensils, the bread of the presence, 37 the lamp stand of pure gold, its lamps (with the lamps in order), its furnishings, its oil for lighting, 38 the altar of gold, anointing oil, aromatic incense, the screen for the doorway to the tent, 39 the bronze altar and the bronze lattice for it, its poles, all its furnishings, the basin and its base, 40 the hangings for the court, its pillars, its sockets, the screen for the gate of the court, its cords, its pegs, all the furnishings for the service of the tent, for the Tent of Meeting, 41 the woven garments for Aaron the priest for ministering in the Holy Place, and the garments for his sons for serving as priests. 42 The Israelis had done all the work according to all that the LORD had commanded Moses. 43 Moses blessed them when he saw all the work and that they had completed it. They had done it just as the LORD had commanded.
Setting Up the Tabernacle
The LORD’s Instructions for Setting up the Tent
40:1 The LORD spoke to Moses: 2 “On the first day of the first month you are to set up the tent of the Tent of Meeting. 3 You are to put the Ark of the Testimony there, and screen off the ark with the curtain. 4 You are to bring in the table and properly arrange what goes on it. Then you are to bring in the lamp stand and set up its lamps.
5 “You are to put the golden altar for incense in front of the Ark of the Testimony and then set up the screen for the doorway to the tent. 6 You are to put the altar for burnt offerings in front of the doorway of the tent of the Tent of Meeting. 7 You are to put the basin between the Tent of Meeting and the altar and put water in it. 8 You are to set up the court all around, and hang up the screen for the gate of the court. 9 You are to take the anointing oil and anoint the tent and all that is in it. You are to consecrate it and all its furnishings and it will be holy.
10 “You are to anoint the altar for burnt offerings and all its utensils. You are to consecrate the altar and the altar will be most holy. 11 You are to anoint the basin and its base and consecrate it. 12 Then you are to bring Aaron and his sons to the doorway of the Tent of Meeting, and wash them with water. 13 You are to clothe Aaron with the holy garments, you are to anoint him, and consecrate him so he may serve me as priest. 14 You are to bring his sons and clothe them with tunics. 15 You are to anoint them just as you anointed their father so they may serve me as priests. Their anointing is to qualify them to belong to a perpetual priesthood from generation to generation.”
Moses Obeys God’s Instructions
16 Moses did everything that the LORD had commanded him, so he did. 17 And so in the first month of the second year, on the first day of the month, the tent was set up. 18 Moses set up the tent. He installed its sockets and set its boards in place. He inserted its bars and set up its pillars. 19 He spread the tent over the tent and put the covering of the tent on top of it, just as the LORD had commanded him. 20 Then he took the Testimony, put it into the ark, and placed the poles on the ark. He then put the Mercy Seat on top of the ark. 21 He brought the ark into the tent, set up the curtain, and screened off the Ark of the Testimony, just as the LORD had commanded him. 22 He put the table in the Tent of Meeting, on the north side of the tent, outside the curtain, 23 and properly arranged the bread on it in the LORD’s presence, just as the LORD had commanded him.
24 Then he put the lamp stand in the Tent of Meeting, opposite the table on the south side of the tent, 25 and set up the lamps in the LORD’s presence, just as the LORD had commanded him. 26 He put the golden altar in the Tent of Meeting in front of the curtain 27 and burned aromatic incense on it, just as the LORD had commanded Moses.
28 He set up the screen for the doorway of the tent. 29 He put the altar for burnt offerings at the doorway of the tent of the Tent of Meeting, and offered the burnt offering and the grain offering on it, just as the LORD had commanded him. 30 He put the basin between the Tent of Meeting and the altar, and put water in it for washing. 31 Moses, Aaron, and his sons washed their hands and feet from it. 32 When they entered the Tent of Meeting and approached the altar, they washed, just as the LORD had commanded him. 33 He set up the court all around the tent and the altar, and hung up the screen for the gate of the court. And so Moses finished the work.
The Glory of the LORD Fills the Completed Tent
34 The cloud covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tent. 35 Moses was not able to enter the Tent of Meeting because the cloud had settled on it, and the glory of the LORD filled the tent. 36 Whenever the cloud was lifted up from the tent, the Israelis would set out on their journey, 37 but if the cloud was not lifted up, they would not set out until it was lifted up, 38 since the cloud of the LORD was over the tent by day, and the fire was in it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel in all their journeys.
Other modules in this unit:
- Life of Moses – Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy
- 300-year gap between Joseph and Moses, Exodus 1:1-14
- First 40 years of the life of Moses, Exodus 2:1-15
- Thutmose 1 the Pharaoh or king of Egypt, Exodus 1:1-22
- Miriam kept eye on Moses after he had been placed as a baby in a boat, Exodus 2:1-10
- Second set of 40 years, Exodus 2:11 – 7:7
- God spoke to Moses out of a burning bush, Exodus 3:1-3
- Moses was asked to take off his sandals by God, Exodus 3:4-22 & 4:1-17
- The third set of 40 years, Exodus 7:8-13 – Deuteronomy 34:12
- Aaron’s Staff becomes a Snake, Exodus 7:8-13
- The ten plagues of Egypt, Exodus 7:14-12:30
- Ninth plague – Darkness, Exodus 10:21-29
- Tenth plague – Firstborn die, Exodus 11:1-10
- Passover commemorates the Exodus from Egypt, Exodus 12:1-10
- Moses the friend of God
- Pillar of Cloud by Day, Exodus 13:20-22
- Pillar of fire by night, Exodus 13:20-22
- The Chariots of the Egyptian army, Exodus 14:1-31
- Moses crosses the Red Sea, Exodus 14:1-31
- Moses’ older sister Miriam sings a song, Exodus 15:1-21
- Waters of Marah and Elim, Exodus 15:22-27
- Manna means ‘What Is It’?, Exodus 16:1-36
- Water from The Rock at Massah, Exodus 17:1-7
- Moses at Mount Sinai, Exodus 19:1-25
- The Ten Commandments or 10 Laws of God, Exodus 20:1-17
- The Three Annual Feasts of God, Exodus 23:14-19
- The Feast of Passover, Numbers 28:16-31
- Feast of Weeks or Pentecost, Numbers 28:26-31
- Feast of trumpets or Feast of Shofars, Numbers 29:1-40
- The Golden Calf the idol made by Aaron, Exodus 32:1-35
- Moses with the New Stone Tablets, Exodus 34:1-35
- 1st five of the Ten Commandments, Exodus 20:1-12
- 2nd five of the Ten Commandments, Exodus 20:1-21
- Ark of God – Exodus 25:10-22 & 37:1-9
- The High Priest of Israel, Exodus 39:1-31
- Tabernacle, Exodus 39:32-43 & 40:1-38
- Aaron and Miriam oppose Moses, Numbers 12:1-16
- Exploring Canaan by 12 spies, Numbers 13:1-33
- 37 years in the wilderness, Numbers 14:33-34
- Aaron’s Rod that budded, Numbers 17:1-13
- Speak to the Rock “Give Water”, Numbers 20:1-13
- Death of Aaron, Numbers 20:22-29
- The Bronze Snake, Numbers 21:4-9
- Balak Summons Balaam, Numbers 22:1-24:25
- Six cities of Refuge for Israel, Numbers 35:1-34 & Deuteronomy 4:41-43
- Daughters of Zelophehad, Numbers 36:1-12
- Moses Blesses the Tribes with Three Sermons, Deuteronomy 33:1-29
- Moses lived for 120 years, Deuteronomy 34:1-12
- Caleb was the son of Jephunneh, Numbers 14:26-38
- Joshua – The Fall of Jericho, Joshua 5:13-15 & 6:1-27
- Questions and Answers 1-16
- Questions and Answers 17-32
- Questions and Answers 33-49
- Time Line for Life of Moses
- Background Information – Life of Moses
- Next Module – Judges or rulers of Israel
- Resources – Life of Moses
- The Jewish Festival of Sukkot
- Yom Kippur, means “Day of Atonement”
- Rosh Hashanah or Yom Teruah (The Day of the Sounding of Shofar)