Mary sang a song of praise to God as she and Elizabeth greet each other. The song points out eight of the characteristics of God.
Miriam, or Mary as we call her in English, was a devout Jew living in the town of Nazareth. How Mary and Elizabeth were related, we are unsure. Elizabeth was from the tribe of Levi and Mary was from the tribe of Judah. One of the ways they could be related is if a Levite man married a girl from Judah, which often happened. Elizabeth may have been the only person that Mary could have trusted to talk to about the birth to come. The angel of the Lord hinted that Mary could talk to Elizabeth who, at the time, was six months pregnant.
Another way was if Elizabeth was Joseph’s sister. If Mary had no brothers, Joseph would have been adopted by Mary’s father. Joseph would then become the son of Mary’s father so that the inheritance that was passed on to Mary would stay in her family. See Zelophehad’s daughters – Numbers 36:1-12.
In Hebrew Miriam or Mary means bitter.
Background Reading: – Mary’s Song
1:46 Then Mary said,
“My soul praises the greatness of the Lord!
47 My spirit exults in God, my Savior,
48 because he has looked favorably on his humble servant.
From now on, all generations will call me blessed,
49 because the Almighty has done great things for me.
His name is holy.
50 His mercy lasts from generation to generation
for those who fear him.
51 He displayed his mighty power with his arm.
He scattered people who were proud in mind and heart.
52 He pulled powerful rulers from their thrones
and lifted up humble people.
53 He filled hungry people with good things
and sent rich people away with nothing.
54 He helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful,
55 according to the promise he made to our ancestors—
to Abraham and his descendants forever.”
56 Now Mary stayed with Elizabeth about three months and then went back home.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the birth of Jesus – Luke 1:26-38
- Mary got a visit from the Angel Gabriel – Luke 1:39-40
- Elizabeth gets a visit from Mary – Luke 1:41-45
- Mary sings a song of praise to God – Luke 1:46-56
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream – Matthew 1:18-25
- Joseph goes to Bethlehem – Luke 2:1-4
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey – Luke 2:5
- Jesus a newly born baby – Luke 2:6-7 and Matthew 1:18-25
- Shepherds keeping watch – Luke 2:8-12 and 2:15-20
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus – Luke 2:13-14
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple – Luke 2:22-24
- Simeon blesses Jesus – Luke 2:25-35
- Anna the Prophetess – Luke 2:36-38
- Magi traveled from the east to find Jesus – Matthew 2:1-2
- The visit of the Magi to Herod – Matthew 2:3-8
- Magi followed the star to a house – Matthew 2:9-10
- Jesus as a child in a house – Matthew 2:11-12
- Joseph takes Jesus and escapes to Egypt – Matthew 2:13-15
- Herod the Great plans how to kill Jesus – Matthew 2:16-18
- The return from Egypt to Nazareth – Matthew 2:19-23
- Jesus about twelve years old – Luke 2:41-52
- The cross is still to come – Luke 22:1-24:53 and Matthew 26:1-28:20
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-23
- Timeline for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus
- Next Module – Ministry of Jesus » »