Mary praised God by singing a song of praise to Him as she and Elizabeth greet each other.
The song points out eight of the characteristics of God
Miriam or Mary as we call her in English was a devout Jew living in the town of Nazareth.
How Mary and Elizabeth were relatives is unsure as Elizabeth was from the tribe of Levi and Mary was from the tribe of Judah. One of the ways was if a Levite man married a girl from Judah which often happened. Elizabeth may have been the only person that Mary could have trusted to talk to about the birth to come. The angel of the Lord hinted that Mary could talk to Elizabeth who is now six months pregnant.
One way was Elizabeth could have been Joseph’s sister. Joseph in marrying Mary if Mary had no brothers would have been adopted by Mary’s father as his son so the inheritance that was passed on to Mary so the inheritance would stay with Mary’s family. see: Zelophehad’s daughters – Numbers 36:1-12.
In Hebrew Miriam or Mary means: bitter.
1:46 Then Mary said,
“My soul praises the greatness of the Lord!
47 My spirit exults in God, my Savior,
48 because he has looked favorably on his humble servant.
From now on, all generations will call me blessed,
49 because the Almighty has done great things for me.
His name is holy.
50 His mercy lasts from generation to generation
for those who fear him.
51 He displayed his mighty power with his arm.
He scattered people who were proud in mind and heart.
52 He pulled powerful rulers from their thrones
and lifted up humble people.
53 He filled hungry people with good things
and sent rich people away with nothing.
54 He helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful,
55 according to the promise he made to our ancestors—
to Abraham and his descendants forever.”
56 Now Mary stayed with Elizabeth about three months and then went back home.
Other modules in this unit:
- The angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the Birth of Jesus, Luke 1:26-38
- Mary got a visit from the angel Gabriel, Luke 1:39-40
- Elizabeth gets a visit from Mary, Luke 1:41-45
- Mary sings a song of praise to God, Luke 1:46-56
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, Matthew 1:18-25
- Joseph Goes To Bethlehem, Luke 2:1-4
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey, Luke 2:5
- Jesus a newly born Baby, Luke 2:6-7 and Matthew 1:18-25
- Shepherds keeping watch, Luke 2:8-12 and 2:15-20
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus, Luke 2:13-14
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple, Luke 2:22-24
- Simeon blesses Jesus, Luke 2:25-35
- Anna the prophetess, Luke 2:36-38
- Magi, traveled from the east to find Jesus, Matthew 2:1-2
- Herod gets a visit from the Magi, Matthew 2:3-8
- Magi followed the star to a house, Matthew 2:9-10
- Jesus as a child in the house, Matthew 2:11-12
- Joseph takes Jesus and Escapes to Egypt, Matthew 2:13-15
- Herod the Great – First plot to kill Jesus, Matthew 2:16-18
- The Return from Egypt to Nazareth, Matthew 2:19-23
- Jesus about twelve years old, Luke 2:41-52
- The Cross still to come see Luke and Matthew
- Time Line for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Timelines – Birth of Jesus
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus