Joseph took Mary to Bethlehem, because all males had to go to their hometowns to be registered for a Roman census.
The Romans, who occupied Israel, required this census for taxation purposes.”
The Romans had a census, or headcount, occurring every fourteen years.
Joseph in Hebrew means: increaser.
Background Reading: – Joseph Goes To Bethlehem
2:1 Now in those days an order was published by Caesar Augustus who ruled from 27BC to AD14, that the whole world [i.e. Roman world] should be registered. 2 This was the first registration taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. 3 So all the people went to their hometowns to be registered.
4 Joseph, too, went up from the city of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the City of David (called Bethlehem), because he was a descendant of the household and family of David.
Joseph and Mary were both descendants of King David, so of Israel’s royal family.
Mary and Joseph had an arranged marriage as was the custom of the time.
This may even have happened before the two people had met.
Not like our Western custom where the legal papers are signed at the time of the marriage.
Other slides in this module:
- The angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the birth of Jesus
- Mary got a visit from the angel Gabriel
- Elizabeth got a visit from Mary
- Mary offered a hymn of praise to God
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream
- Joseph goes to Bethlehem
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey
- Jesus a newly born baby
- Shepherds keeping watch
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple
- Simeon blesses Jesus
- Anna the Prophetess
- Magi traveled from the East to find Jesus
- The visit of the Magi to King Herod
- Magi followed the star to a house
- Jesus as a child in a house
- Joseph takes Jesus and escapes to Egypt
- King Herod the Great plans how to kill Jesus
- The return from Egypt to Nazareth
- Jesus about twelve years old
- The cross is still to come
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-23
- Timeline for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus
- Next Module – Ministry of Jesus » »