An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and he said; “Take Mary home as your wife.”
When Joseph woke up, he did as the Angel commanded him to do.
From this time, Mary and Joseph ended up in Bethlehem where the birth took place.
In Hebrew Joseph means: increaser.
In the Bible, the name Joseph was first mentioned as the eleventh son of Jacob, and the first of Jacob’s wife, Rachel.
Joseph had the coat of many colors, and he served God all his life with integrity.
Mary’s husband, Joseph, was more than likely named after this Joseph from the Book of Genesis.
Background Reading: – An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream
18 Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah happened in this way. When his mother Mary was engaged to Joseph, before they lived together she was discovered to be pregnant by the Holy Spirit. 19 Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to disgrace her, decided to divorce her secretly.
20 After he had thought about it, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream. “Joseph, son of David,” he said, “do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, because what has been conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to name him Jesus, because he is the one who will save his people from their sins.”
22 Now all this happened to fulfill what was declared by the Lord through the prophet when he said,
23 “See, a virgin will become pregnant and give birth to a son, and they will name him Immanuel,” which means, “God with us.”
24 When Joseph got up from his sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary as his wife. 25 He did not have marital relations with her until she had given birth to a son; and he named him Jesus.
The birth of Jesus can also be known as the Christmas story.
The Birth of Jesus divided time into BC and AD. At this time Israel was under Roman occupation.
The Romans had a census or headcount of the men every 14 years for taxation and military purposes.
Other modules in this unit:
- The Angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the birth of Jesus – Luke 1:26-38
- Mary got a visit from the Angel Gabriel – Luke 1:39-40
- Elizabeth gets a visit from Mary – Luke 1:41-45
- Mary offered a hymn of praise to God – Luke 1:46-56
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream – Matthew 1:18-25
- Joseph goes to Bethlehem – Luke 2:1-4
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey – Luke 2:5
- Jesus a newly born baby – Luke 2:6-7 and Matthew 1:18-25
- Shepherds keeping watch – Luke 2:8-12 and 2:15-20
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus – Luke 2:13-14
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple – Luke 2:22-24
- Simeon blesses Jesus – Luke 2:25-35
- Anna the Prophetess – Luke 2:36-38
- Magi traveled from the east to find Jesus – Matthew 2:1-12
- The visit of the Magi to Herod – Matthew 2:3-8
- Magi followed the star to a house – Matthew 2:9-10
- Jesus as a child in a house – Matthew 2:11-12
- Joseph takes Jesus and escapes to Egypt – Matthew 2:13-15
- King Herod the Great plans how to kill Jesus – Matthew 2:16-18
- The return from Egypt to Nazareth – Matthew 2:19-23
- Jesus about twelve years old – Luke 2:41-52
- The cross is still to come – Luke 22:1-24:53 and Matthew 26:1-28:20
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-23
- Timeline for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus
- Next Module – Ministry of Jesus » »