Jesus was taken to the Temple in Jerusalem for the Jewish religious ritual of Redemption when he was 40 days old. This ritual was an obligatory ceremony for firstborn boys according to the Law of Moses. His mother was also there for her Jewish religious ritual of Purification or Cleansing.
Scripture refers to the offering of a pair of doves or two young pigeons, probably indicating that Mary and Joseph were not wealthy enough to afford a lamb.
Also, the firstborn son had to be redeemed as well. See Numbers 18:14-16. The redemption price set by God was five Sanctuary shekels.
Jesus is the sacrificial lamb and the savior of the whole world.
At 40 days old Jesus was taken to Jerusalem, why?
Background Information: – Jesus Presented in the Temple
22 When the time came for their purification according to the Law of Moses, Joseph and Mary took Jesus up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord, 23 as it is written in the Law of the Lord, “Every firstborn son is to be designated as holy to the Lord.” 24 They also offered a sacrifice according to what is specified in the Law of the Lord: “a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons.” See – Leviticus 12.1-8]
Two of the many rituals that were performed at the Temple:
1. The redemption of the first born at a cost of five shekels. See Exodus 13:2, Numbers 8:17, Numbers 18:15-16.
2. The purification of a woman after childbirth, which required a pair of doves or two young pigeons from the poorer people or a lamb from the rich as the Purification offering. Also see Exodus 13:2; Leviticus 12:1-8; Numbers 18:15-16.
The family tree of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew is through the legal line of Joseph, and the family tree of Jesus in the Gospel of Luke is through the bloodline of Mary.
Other slides in this module:
- The angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the birth of Jesus
- Mary got a visit from the angel Gabriel
- Elizabeth got a visit from Mary
- Mary offered a hymn of praise to God
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream
- Joseph goes to Bethlehem
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey
- Jesus a newly born baby
- Shepherds keeping watch
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple
- Simeon blesses Jesus
- Anna the Prophetess
- Magi traveled from the East to find Jesus
- The visit of the Magi to King Herod
- Magi followed the star to a house
- Jesus as a child in a house
- Joseph takes Jesus and escapes to Egypt
- King Herod the Great plans how to kill Jesus
- The return from Egypt to Nazareth
- Jesus about twelve years old
- The cross is still to come
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-23
- Timeline for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus
- Next Module – Ministry of Jesus » »