Simeon, a right living and very devout man of faith, was frequently in the Temple meditating, and in a constant state of anticipation of the most significant foretold event in the Jewish faith – the arrival of the Jewish Messiah.
Joseph and Mary were in at the Temple in Jerusalem for the redemption of Jesus as the firstborn and the purification of His mother, Mary, as per the Law of Moses in the first five books of the Bible. Simeon met baby Jesus and blessed Him, in fulfilment of a promise to Simeon from God.
By this time Simeon was a very old man. He had been told by God, as a much younger man, that he would definitely see the Jewish Messiah before he died.
When Simeon saw Jesus he took Him in his arms and praised God. Simeon made a prophetic and powerful predictive statement about Jesus and the purpose of His life.
Also see the reading below from verses 29-32 and verses 34-35.
In Hebrew Simeon means: hearing or listening.
The word Messiah, in Hebrew, and the word Christ, in Greek, mean: Anointed One.
Background Reading: – Simeon blesses Jesus
2:25 Now a man named Simeon was in Jerusalem. This man was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the one who would comfort Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26 It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die until he had seen the Lord’s Messiah.
27 Led by the Spirit, he went into the Temple. When the parents brought the child Jesus to do for him what was customary under the Law, 28 Simeon took the infant in his arms and praised God, saying,
29 “Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace according to your promise,
30 because my eyes have seen your salvation,
31 which you prepared for all people to see—
32 a light that will reveal salvation to unbelievers and bring glory to your people Israel.”
33 Jesus’ father and mother kept wondering at the things being said about him. 34 Then Simeon blessed them and told Mary, his mother, “This infant is destined to cause many in Israel to fall and rise. Also, he will be a sign that will be opposed. 35 Indeed, a sword will pierce your own soul, too, so that the inner thoughts of many people might be revealed.”
Other modules in this unit:
- The angel Gabriel spoke to Mary about the birth of Jesus
- Mary got a visit from the angel Gabriel
- Elizabeth got a visit from Mary
- Mary offered a hymn of praise to God
- An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream
- Joseph goes to Bethlehem
- Mary traveled with Joseph on a donkey
- Jesus a newly born baby
- Shepherds keeping watch
- Angels praised God for the birth of Jesus
- Jesus at 40 days old was taken to the Temple
- Simeon blesses Jesus
- Anna the Prophetess
- Magi traveled from the East to find Jesus
- The visit of the Magi to Herod
- Magi followed the star to a house
- Jesus as a child in a house
- Joseph takes Jesus and escapes to Egypt
- King Herod the Great plans how to kill Jesus
- The return from Egypt to Nazareth
- Jesus about twelve years old
- The cross is still to come
- Questions and Answers 1-11
- Questions and Answers 12-23
- Timeline for Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Background Information – Birth of Jesus – The Christmas Story
- Resources – Birth of Jesus
- Next Module – Ministry of Jesus » »