Jacob traveled to Egypt in a cart with all his family, his servants and animals.
The cart was supplied by his son Joseph, who now was second to the Pharaoh of Egypt.
If Joseph had not been sold into slavery all those many years ago God could not have used Him to Save his family.
Jacob Moves to Egypt
46:1 Later, Israel began his journey, taking along everything that he owned, and arrived at Beer-sheba, where he offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. 2 God spoke to Israel through night visions, addressing him, “Jacob! Jacob!”
“Here I am!” Jacob replied.
3 “I’m God, your father’s God. Don’t be afraid to move down to Egypt, because I’m going to turn you into a mighty nation there. 4 I’m going down with you to Egypt, and I’m certainly going to bring you back again. And Joseph himself will be with you when you die.” 5 So Jacob got up and left Beer-sheba, and Israel’s sons carried their father Jacob, their little ones, and their wives in the transport wagons that Pharaoh had sent to carry them. 6 They took their livestock and their household property that they had acquired in the land of Canaan and traveled to Egypt. Jacob and all of his descendants went with him— 7 including his sons, his grandsons, his daughters, and his granddaughters—every one of his descendants accompanied him to Egypt.
Other modules in this unit:
- Jacob steals Isaac’s blessing, Genesis 27:1-29
- Jacob dreams about a ladder and angels at Bethel, Genesis 28:10-22
- Jacob marries Rachel the daughter of Laban, Genesis 29:15-30
- Laban meets Jacob, Genesis 29:1-14
- Leah the older sister of Rachel, Genesis 29:1-30
- Bilhah, the servant of Rachel, Genesis 30:1-30
- Zilpah, servant of Leah, Genesis 30:9-13
- Reuben finds some mandrakes for Leah, Genesis 30:14-18
- Jacob had twelve sons, Genesis 29:31-30:24 and 35:23-26
- Jacob flees with his family from Laban, Genesis 31:1-55
- Esau’s descendants, Genesis 36:1-43
- Joseph’s Dreams, Genesis 37:1-11
- Joseph is put down a well, Genesis 37:12-36
- Tamar and Judah, Genesis 38:1-30
- Joseph runs from Potiphar’s Wife, Genesis 39:1-20
- The Cup that held the wine for the King of Egypt, Genesis 40:1-23 and Genesis 41:1-13
- The chief Baker to the King of Egypt, Genesis 40:1-4, 40:16-22 and 41:1-13
- Joseph’s brothers first trip to Egypt for food, Genesis 42:1-38
- The Second Journey to Egypt, Genesis 43:1-34
- A silver cup belonging to Joseph was put in a Sack, Genesis 44:1-34
- Jacob moves to Egypt in a cart, Genesis 46:1-47:12
- Two Sons of Joseph, Genesis 47:28-48:1-22
- Manasseh Joseph’s older son, Genesis 48:1-22 and 49:22-26
- Ephraim, Joseph’s younger son, Genesis 48:1-22 and 49:22-28
- 12 sons of Jacob which he blesses before he dies, Genesis 49:1-28
- Death of Jacob at one hundred and forty-seven years old, Genesis 49:29-33
- Death of Joseph at one hundred and ten years old, Genesis 50:22-26
- 300-year gap between Joseph and Moses, Genesis 50:22-Exodus 1:22
- Life of Moses
- Timeline for the book of Genesis
- Background Information – Genesis Part Two
- Resources – Genesis Part Two