The celebrated Jewish Hasmonean family 170-37BC that defended the Jewish rights and customs.
This Jewish Hasmonean family and other Jewish families stayed faithful to God during the time called the 400 years between the old and New Testaments.
Old Testament Bible reference: this happened in the silent 400 years period.
Purified the temple in 164BC that had been built by Zerubbabel, from which we get the feast of Hanukkah or the Festival of Lights or the Feast of Dedication.
The Jewish festival of Hanukkah celebrates the re-dedication of the Temple following Judah Maccabee’s victory over the Seleucids and their king . The sanctuary oil that was supposed to last one day lasted eight days.
Maccabee in Hebrew means: Hammer this was the nickname for Judas one of the five sons of a Jewish priest from Modiin, Mattathias the Hasmonean, Judas continued to lead the revolt after the death of his father and Hasmonean dynasty ruled Israel between 168BC-63BC. The Hasmonean dynasty ended in 37 BCE when the Idumean Herod the Great became king of Israel, he was put in by the Roman Senate.
The Seleucid Empire based in Syria was the occupying force in Israel at this time and forced on the local Jews the Greek ways and thinking. The Seleucid Empire was one of the four parts that emerged after the death of in 332BC in Babylon at the age of 32 years old.
Other modules in this unit:
- Start of the 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- Alexander the Great
- Antiochus IV Epiphanes
- Hasmonean Dynasty, This family stayed faithful to God
- Temple built by Zerubbabel is purified and rededicated
- High Priest
- High Priest – John Hyrcanus II
- Roman Soldier
- Herod the Great, Matthew 2:16-18
- Temple Built By King Herod the Great
- End 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- John the Baptist Suffered wearing sheepskins, Luke 1:5-25
- The Angel Gabriel Talks To Mary, Luke 1:26-38
- Jesus A Newly Born Baby, Luke 2:1-7 & Matthew 1:18-25
- Jesus the Man
- The death of Jesus on the cross, Luke 22:1-24:12
- Jesus is coming from the cloud
- Next Module – The Birth of Jesus » »
- Time Line for 400 years
- Background Information: 400 Silent Years
- Resources: 400 Years