From 400BC to the fall of Jerusalem in AD70 there was a Jewish High Priest.
The High Priest’s job was to lead the people in the daily sacrifices in the temple in Jerusalem.
High priest as in Moses OR High priest as in Easter.
High Priests – Hasmonean dynasty:
* Jonathan Apphus, 153-143 BC.
* Simeon Tassi, brother of Jonathan Apphus, 142-134 BC.
* John Hyrcanus I, son of Simeon Tassi 134-104 BC.
* Aristobulus I, son of John Hyrcanus, 104-103 BC.
* Alexander Jannaeus, son of John Hyrcanus, 103-76 BC.
* John Hyrcanus II, son of Alexander Jannaeus, 76-66 BC.
* Aristobulus II, son of Alexander Jannaeus, 66-63 BC.
* John Hyrcanus II (restored) 63-40 BC.
* Antigonus, son of Aristobulus II, 40-37 BC.
* Aristobulus III 36 BC-last of the Hasmoneans; paternal grandson of Aristobulus II and brother of Herod’s wife Mariamne (second wife of Herod).
Other modules in this unit:
- Start of the 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- Alexander the Great
- Antiochus IV Epiphanes
- Hasmonean Dynasty. This family stayed faithful to God
- Temple built by Zerubbabel is purified and rededicated
- High Priest
- High Priest – John Hyrcanus II
- Roman Soldier
- King Herod the Great
- Temple Built By King Herod the Great
- End of the 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- John the Baptist suffered wearing sheepskins
- The Angel Gabriel Talks To Mary
- Jesus A Newly Born Baby
- Jesus the Man
- The death of Jesus on the cross
- Jesus is coming from the cloud
- Questions and Answers 1-17
- Next Module – The Birth of Jesus » »
- Time Line for 400 years
- Background Information: 400 Years
- Resources: 400 Years