From 400BC to the fall of Jerusalem in AD70 there was a Jewish High Priest.
The High Priest’s job was to lead the people in the daily sacrifices in the temple in Jerusalem.
High Priests – Hasmonean dynasty:
* Jonathan Apphus, 153-143 BC.
* Simeon Tassi, brother of Jonathan Apphus, 142-134 BC.
* John Hyrcanus I, son of Simeon Tassi 134-104 BC.
* Aristobulus I, son of John Hyrcanus, 104-103 BC.
* Alexander Jannaeus, son of John Hyrcanus, 103-76 BC.
* John Hyrcanus II, son of Alexander Jannaeus, 76-66 BC.
* Aristobulus II, son of Alexander Jannaeus, 66-63 BC.
* John Hyrcanus II (restored) 63-40 BC.
* Antigonus, son of Aristobulus II, 40-37 BC.
* Aristobulus III 36 BC-last of the Hasmoneans; paternal grandson of Aristobulus II and brother of Herod’s wife Mariamne (second wife of Herod).
Other modules in this unit:
- Start of the 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- Alexander the Great
- Antiochus IV Epiphanes
- Hasmonean Dynasty. This family stayed faithful to God
- Temple built by Zerubbabel is purified and rededicated
- High Priest
- High Priest – John Hyrcanus II
- Roman Soldier
- King Herod the Great
- Temple Built By King Herod the Great
- End of the 400 Year gap between Malachi and Jesus
- John the Baptist suffered wearing sheepskins
- The Angel Gabriel Talks To Mary
- Jesus A Newly Born Baby
- Jesus the Man
- The death of Jesus on the cross
- Jesus is coming from the cloud
- Questions and Answers 1-17
- Next Module – The Birth of Jesus » »
- Time Line for 400 years
- Background Information: 400 Years
- Resources: 400 Years