Genesis 29:23-35. The older sister of Rachel and first wife of Jacob. After working seven years for Laban in order to marry Rachel, Jacob was tricked by Laban into marrying Leah instead.
In order to then marry Rachel, Jacob had to promise to work another seven years for Laban.
The Hebrew meaning of Leah is languid, weary.
Leah gave birth to six of Jacob’s twelve sons, who became part of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Dinah was recorded as the daughter of Leah.
Laban Deceives Jacob
23 That night Laban took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob. He had marital relations with her. 24 Laban also gave his servant woman Zilpah to Leah to be her maidservant. 25 The next morning, Jacob realized that it was Leah! “What have you done to me?” he demanded of Laban. “Didn’t I serve you for seven years in order to marry Rachel? Why did you deceive me?”
26 But Laban responded, “It’s not the practice of our place to give the younger one in marriage before the firstborn. 27 Fulfill the week for this daughter, then we’ll give you the other one in exchange for serving me another seven years.”
28 So Jacob completed another seven years’ work, and then Laban gave him his daughter Rachel to be his wife. 29 Laban also gave his woman servant Bilhah to his daughter Rachel to be her maidservant. 30 Jacob also married Rachel, since he loved her. He served Laban another full seven years’ work for Rachel.
31 Later, the LORD noticed that Leah was being neglected, so he made her fertile, while Rachel remained childless. 32 Leah conceived, bore a son, and named him Reuben, because she was saying, “The LORD had looked on my torture, so now my husband will love me.”
33 Later, she conceived again, bore a son, and declared, “Because the LORD heard that I’m neglected, he gave me this one, too.” So she named him Simeon.
34 Later, she conceived again and said, “This time my husband will become attached to me, now that I’ve borne him three sons.” So he named him Levi.
35 Then she conceived yet again, bore a son, and said, “This time I’ll praise the LORD.” So she named him Judah.
Then she stopped bearing children.
Other modules in this unit:
- Jacob steals Isaac’s blessing
- Jacob dreams about a ladder and angels at Bethel
- Laban meets Jacob
- Jacob marries Rachel the daughter of Laban
- Leah the older sister of Rachel
- Bilhah, the servant of Rachel
- Zilpah, servant of Leah
- Jacob had twelve sons
- Reuben finds some mandrakes for Leah
- Jacob flees with his family from Laban
- Esau’s descendants
- Joseph’s Dreams
- Joseph is put down a well
- Tamar and Judah
- Joseph runs from Potiphar’s Wife
- The Cup that held the wine for the King of Egypt
- The head chef to the King of Egypt
- Joseph’s brothers’ first trip to Egypt for food
- The Second Journey to Egypt
- A silver cup belonging to Joseph was put in a Sack
- Jacob moves to Egypt in a cart
- Two Sons of Joseph, Genesis
- Manasseh, Joseph’s older son
- Ephraim, Joseph’s younger son
- 12 sons of Jacob whom he blesses before he dies
- Death of Jacob at one hundred and forty-seven years old
- Death of Joseph at one hundred and ten years old
- Questions and Answers 1-28
- 300-year gap between Joseph and Moses
- Life of Moses » »
- Timeline for the book of Genesis parts one and two »
- Resources – Genesis Part Two