Genesis 1:26-31-2:1-25. Adam was a special man that God created.
The creation of Adam is described in Genesis 2:7. God created him from the dust of the ground, breathed life into him and placed him in the Garden of Eden.
Adam was given the task of naming all the animals.
As Adam was lonely, God formed a wife, named Eve, out of one of Adam’s ribs.
Adam died at the age of 930 years.
In Hebrew Adam means: of the ground, reddish earth.
God said let us make man – Undated Past
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, to be like us. Let them be masters over the fish in the ocean, the birds that fly,ll the livestock, everything that crawls on the earth, and over the earth itself!”
27 So God created mankind in his own image;
in his own image God created them;
he created them male and female.
28 God blessed the humans by saying to them, “Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it! Be masters over the fish in the ocean, the birds that fly, and every living thing that crawls on the earth!”
29 God also told them, “Look! I have given you every seed-bearing plant that grows throughout the earth, along with every tree that grows seed-bearing fruit. They will produce your food. 30 I have given all green plants as food for every wild animal of the earth, every bird that flies, and to every living thing that crawls on the earth.” And that is what happened.
31 Now God saw all that he had made, and indeed, it was very good! The twilight and the dawn were the sixth day.
2:1 With this the heavens and the earth were completed, including all of their vast array. 2 By the seventh day God had completed the work he had been doing, so on the seventh day he stopped working on everything that he had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God stopped working on everything that he had been creating.
Adam and Eve – Humans in the Garden
4T hese are the records of the universe at its creation. On the day that the LORD God made the earth and skies, 5 no shrubs had yet grown in the meadows of the earth and no vegetation had sprouted, because the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth and there were no human beings to work the ground. 6 Instead, an underground stream would arise out of the earth and water the surface of the ground. 7 So the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground, breathed life into his lungs, and the man became a living being.
8 The LORD God planted a garden in Eden, toward the east, where he placed the man whom he had formed. 9 The LORD God caused every tree that is both beautiful and suitable for food to spring up out of the ground. The tree of life was also in the middle of the garden, along with the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. 10 A river flows from Eden to water the garden, and from there it divides, becoming four branches. 11 The name of the first one is Pishon—it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. 12 The gold of that land is pure; bdellium and onyx are also found there. 13 The name of the second river is Gihon—it winds through the entire land of Cush. 14 The third river is named the Tigris— it flows to the east of Assyria. The fourth river is the Euphrates.
15 The LORD God took the man and placed him in the Garden of Eden in order to have him work it and guard it. 16 The LORD God commanded the man: “You may freely eat from every tree of the garden, 17 but you are not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, because you will certainly die during the day that you eat from it.”
Eve is created – The Creation of the Woman
18 Later, the LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make the woman to be an authority corresponding to him.” 19 After the LORD God formed from the ground every wild animal and every bird that flies, he brought each of them to the man to see what he would call it. Whatever the man called each living creature became its name. 20T he man gave names to all the livestock, to the birds that fly, and to each of earth’s animals, but there was not found a strength corresponding to him, 21 so the LORD God caused a deep sleep to overshadow the man.
When the man was asleep, he removed one of the man’s ribs and closed up the flesh where it had been. 22 Then the LORD God formed the rib that he had taken from the man into a woman and brought her to the man. 23 So the man exclaimed,
“At last! This is
bone from my bones
and flesh from my flesh.
This one will be called ‘Woman,’
because she was taken from Man.”
24 (Therefore a man will leave his father and his mother and cling to his wife, and they will become one flesh.) 25 Even though both the man and his wife were naked, they were not ashamed about it.
Adam was disobedient and his wife Eve was tricked by the serpent.
Other modules in this unit:
- In the beginning, God created the earth – Undated Past
- The 7 or Seven Days of Creation – Undated Past
- Adam was the first created man specifically named in Scripture
- Eve the first woman specifically named in Scripture
- Cain the first human murderer and older brother of Abel
- Abel a righteous man
- Enoch did not die,
- 1100 Years gap Between Adam and Noah
- Noah built an ark with God’s instructions
- Noah builds an Ark for God
- 400-year gap between Noah and Abraham
- Abraham the father of nations
- Sarah was the wife of Abraham
- Rebekah married Isaac
- Esau the son of Isaac
- Jacob steals Isaac’s blessing
- Jacob marries Rachel the daughter of Laban
- Death of Joseph at one hundred and ten years old
- 300-year gap between Joseph and Moses
- Miriam kept eye on Moses after he had been placed as a baby in a boat
- God spoke to Moses out of a burning bush
- Moses was asked to take off his sandals by God
- Moses the friend of God
- Manna means ‘What Is It’?
- Water From The Rock
- Moses at Mount Sinai
- The Golden Calf the idol made by Aaron
- Speak to the Rock “Give Water”
- Joshua God’s warrior
- The two scouts or spies were Joshua’s eyes
- Rahab helped Israel to take Jericho
- Rahab saved from death
- Deborah the 4th Judge of Israel
- Gideon the fifth Judge of Israel
- Ruth, the great-grandmother of King David
- Samson the 14th Judge of Israel
- Samuel the fifteen Judge of Israel anoints Saul
- King Saul tries to kill David with a spear
- David uses his slingshot
- King Solomon’s reign established
- King Rehoboam 1st king of Judah
- Jonah a Prophet of God and the Whale
- Isaiah the prophet (739BC-690BC) wrote the book Isaiah
- Jeremiah the prophet of God is put down a well
- Daniel in the Lions Den
- Esther becomes the Queen of Persia
- Nehemiah rebuilds the walls
- Malachi a prophet of God
- 400-year gap, The gap between Malachi and Jesus
- Angel Gabriel God’s Messenger
- The cross a Roman method of killing people
- Jesus – The author and giver of all faith
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 1-11
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 12-22
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 23-32
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 33-42
- Old Testament Overview – Questions and Answers 43-52
- Next Module – Back to the beginning The Book of Genesis » »